Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I thought the stock seat on my 2013 FXDC was OK. Figured I wouldn't need anything else unless taking a long trip. Well, I was wrong. Most of my trips have been short rides that were around an hour or less. Saturday I took a couple hundred mile ride, and I have to say that thing is inhumane and barbarak.

Seriously? 15 grand for a bike, and you can't take a ride more than an hour? I couldn't even ride my bike to work today. I had to take my truck. Two days later!

With that said I've been looking to do an upgrade. Looked at everything a Google search would find, and I have to say it looks like HD has the best prices, and they at least give a description of the differences of the stock seat. Yea. They did that on purpose.

I need a 2-up seat, and I want it to move back a bit. Around an inch or two. Looks like either the Touring or Tallman is the way to go? I thought of the Badlander as it has the right spec's, but it is still the same design and afraid it won't be any better than stock.

For what it's worth I'm 6'2". I like the way I have my bike set up, and only really want to move back with more comfort.

:feedback:

·
Captain Dave
108 Posts
Head back to your HD dealer and do a fit test. You may need a seat and bars. Your are correct that Harley has everything to change your bike to fit. Bet you didn't know when your bought that $15K scooter that you didn't know it was just a down payment on accessories.

Tramp55
2013 Wide Glide

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Warning.

I tried a tallboy on my Night Train and although it moved me back, it also moved me up and it felt like I was sitting on top of the bike instead of down in it.

I don't think Harley is any cheaper than Mustang. I love my mustang and suggest you check them out.

http://www.mustangseats.com/

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't have a problem moving up an inch or two, but I rather not. I may even like it. I'm going to do a test fit in the next few days. One thing I like about HD. I can try before I buy.

I swapped out the stock bars as I didn't care for them, and they took the time to make sure I liked what I got. I changed a few other things to make it my own, but now it's the seat. Most things I put on my want list as I have a wife and two kids. it's a HUGE list.

The seat isn't on that list. It's on the I have to have list.

·
Single Dad
19 Posts
Warning.

I tried a tallboy on my Night Train and although it moved me back, it also moved me up and it felt like I was sitting on top of the bike instead of down in it.

I don't think Harley is any cheaper than Mustang. I love my mustang and suggest you check them out.

Motorcycle Seats - Mustang

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I will second the mustang seats. I changed my stock seat out for the Superwide Touring Seat. Tremendous difference, for me and my passenger! Its not cheap, but it is one of the best upgrades you can make to your bike..and well worth it..
Glen

·
Registered
294 Posts
Give Mustang a call and discuss your bike model, etc. and you will find they are very helpful. Went with Solo(large) and removable passenger combo and compared to original HD seating, much improved. My bike is '05 Dyna SuperGlide Custom and over the past three years did considerable mods to it, but the Mustang seat set up big plus in the comfort department.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a bunch of searching and looking at different seats. Most of the aftermarket seats are far too much $$$. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I'm not dropping 400 to 500 bucks for a seat. I went into the dealer yesterday to see if I could do a test fit, and the only seat they had for a Dyna was the Sundowner. That obviously wouldn't work as it moves you forward.

There were basically two seats we were looking at, the touring and the tallboy. I told him I didn't want to pay for it until I sat on it. The touring seat didn't mention how it sat in relation to the stock seat so he called the last person that bought one to find out. That seat is the same as stock fit wise. They ordered a tallboy seat for me, and told me they would give me a call when it came in.

Apparently I will be the first person that ordered a tallboy since 2010 from them. I asked if I was the only one that thought that stock seat was terrible? He told me most people my size buy touring bikes, and that people that bought a Dyna were shorter. I'm not that big. I'm 6'2" and 225 lb. I'm sure there are others of you out there that are the same as myself or even bigger?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I bought a Mustang Wide Tripper seat, love it. I'm 6'1" and love riding my Wide Glide on short and long trip. By the way, Dyna's aren't just for short people, sounds like the dealer is trying to sell you another bike.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Anyone have or tried the Mustang Vintage? It looks a lot like the Wide Tripper but is a once piece 2-up?

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Anyone have or tried the Mustang Vintage? It looks a lot like the Wide Tripper but is a once piece 2-up?
Maybe I am wrong in assuming, but I assume that a one piece is more comfortable that a two piece. If that is the case, then you will be fine because my two piece wide tripper is incredible.

·
Banned
681 Posts
The touring seat didn't mention how it sat in relation to the stock seat so he called the last person that bought one to find out. That seat is the same as stock fit wise.

I have the touring seat on my Lowrider and I think that's correct. However it is 100% more comfortable than the stock bench. I love the bucket shape which keeps me in the right place but for me the equally important thing is that "she who must be obeyed" loves it too. Quite apart from the bigger area she likes the fact that she sits slightly higher than me (compared to the stock passenger perch) which means she can look ahead as well as tucking in out of the wind when required.

Before making any expensive decisions I would make sure the seat is going to be the whole answer to your problems. In my case it was a combination of seat and forward controls and I'm a good bit shorter than you. It would be a shame to compromise comfort in the seat to get that couple of inches set-back only to find that your hips still hurt and you need to stretch your legs even more!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For what it's worth I have the Dyna highway pegs that are mounted at the same place as forward controls. It is worse if I use them as all the weight is on one spot. Now if I lay my feel over them it changes things a bit.

Just feels weird to be talking about how my a$$ feels.....

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a Tallboy on my Street Bob with forward controls and really like it. Much better than the stock seat. I think it was $260.00. Even with the seat, I barely have enough room (I'm 6'6").

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my tallboy seat on couple days ago. Was finally able to go out for a ride yesterday due to the rain. Not sure if I like it or not. Doesn't really move you back as much as it moves you up. Certainly more comfortable than the stock seat though. I'm going to have to go for more than a 10 mile ride. I think I may actually like it once I put some miles on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts