Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, sorry if there's already a thread for this... I'm new to the site and haven't found out how to navigate it yet.
The bike wouldn't start on it's own so I bought a new battery... Got about 150 miles out of it and when I stopped it wouldn't start again. Pushed it and rode it home. I'm only getting 11.3 vDC at the battery while it's running. Where do I start to diagnose what the issue is? I traced the wires back to what I think is the voltage regulator, pulled it apart and cleaned the copper fittings but still no good. How can I tell which one of the three 150.00 parts is the issue? Really can't afford to take it to the shop right now. Stator? Rotor? Mag?

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
I'm with Stone Cold. Hopefully Schmidty or one of the other gurus will be along in the morning. After they help you, stick around a while. You'll have a blat!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only issue that I have is determining which part I am testing. I'm guessing that the first part in line coming from the battery is the voltage regulator? If so I can't find any wires coming from within the primary that would be coming from the stator running to the regulator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
southernman... I plan on being around from now on dude. I can already tell that I'll be on here quite a bit.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
Yeah, there's a lot of folk on here smarter than me...:nod! You'll love it.

I'm ok with being the dummy...:silly

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Check out this link for testing info:

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/electrical/44341-charge-system-diagnostics.html

Also, here is a link to a site that has the parts online from parts catalog (the Sister book to the Service Manual). You really should pick up a service manual as well. Seriously, it has damn near every piece, part, circuit etc. covered. How about sharing some pics of your bike? We love pics here!

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson.com/ Check out the OEM parts finder.

:biker:

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Start testing at the stator connector which is located below the regulator. Test the stator first for shorts and opens. If the stator is shorted it might have burnt out the regulator too. The test procedures are a sticky in the electrical section.
If the stator tests good then test the rotor, measure AC volts at the stator connector. AC volts should be approx. 15v per 1000rpm.
If the stator and rotor test good the regulator in most likely bad.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I had the same prob on my carbed 01 Dyna, mine died while doing 55 on the hyw.
Check the connector under your regulator located at the bottom of the front down tubes to make sure it's connected securly. Mine needed to be pushed together less than a 1/4 inch and then everything was good. I tye wrapped mine so it couldn't come apart without wire cutters. If the regulator is dead or not recharging the battery, the computer won't let the bike run. I never heard of such a thing until then. That's why my next bike will be a pre computer bike.

Hey Southernman, what kinda Blat are you talking about, is that a beer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts