Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im trying to seek a little help with my problem.
I own a 2000 flhtcui ultra classic that im having trubble getting running again after a hard rev in sub zero weather,
so far it has a valve job, a 97 in kit 9.7-1 pistons rings cylinders, new roller rockers, adjustable push rods,
but no matter how much or less I adjust the valves i still cant get the engine to build enough compression to get it to fire up and run?

I'm a ASE certified automotive and diesel mechanic so this should have been a no brainer so i thought,
i have run out of idea's and have no clue what to look for any more.

So if anyone has any wisdom that they are able to share with me i would be very grateful for any and all the help i can get.

Thank you in advance
joe c.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Being that you're a mechanic, if you're saying that you have no (or little) compression using a compression gauge on the cylinders, and you're sure the rings and valves are sealing, then you have a timing issue. Valves are not closed when they need to be. Pull the covers and plugs and rotate it so you can watch the valves.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you didn't go into the cam chest, I am not sure how you could have gotten it out of time (assuming it was in time before it broke)

There are index marks on the cam gears to align them in the cam plate. Although, I don't know if you would be able to see them without pulling the plate, which is not particularly hard, but it's a lot of time. You might be able to see them with a dental mirror. Don't know. I've never tried. There are also index marks on the outer gears. It might be worth your time to check it as it is a 2000. You need to check on the cam chain tensioners anyway.

If you installed adjustable push rods, you may have over extended the rods. If you did, the valves can't close completely. That would explain the lack of compression as well.

There is an excellent video on youtube from S&S that explains how to adjust the push rods. The guy that does it ought be a freakin' school teacher. He's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jqJck0vQRw

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
What's the compression ? Do a leak down test . Fire- fuel-Air , if ya got all three after that I'm lost !
Seems like they had trouble with the timing sensor going bad in the 99-2000 year models .

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
He gone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry but I didn't have the time to look at it yet, I work 14 hrs a day 6 days a week with little or no time to look at it and not much time to play with it.
And to answer your question, yes I have opened up the cam chest looked at the inner cam timing as well as the outer gears and it all appears to be in time?

So now whats the next step?

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
If there isn't any compression no matter the pushrod adjustment then the valves aren't closing or the rings aren't seating. OR the engine isn't turning over !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it possible your new rockers are contacting the upper rocker box cover and not allowing a valve to seal? Particularly if the stem height is too high after the valve reconditioning?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after going back threw everything I have come to find out that the rocker box covers where holding the valves open just enough make it seam like there was no compression, so I got a dremmal and made some releafs in the under side of the cover and wala we go from 0psi up to a whole wopping 175psi and instant start!!

thank you all for your input and help

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Is it possible your new rockers are contacting the upper rocker box cover and not allowing a valve to seal? Particularly if the stem height is too high after the valve reconditioning?
You get the gold star ! :thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
now i can say that i have a new 97cid 9.8:1 compression ratio new 3 angle valve job on my heads, one down side is that im running the stock cams in it for now and i have to wait to get the money to be able to go with a set of 510 gear drive cams, but none the less im just so happy and excited just to be able to ride again!!!!! lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts