Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OutbackM/C Tourguide
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2000 Roadking with slip-ons, on Decel it pops & bangs real bad. I hate it.
Anyone know what & if a fuel management sytem would be the answer to this problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a lean situation to me. Barring an intake leak problem, then I would imagine that one of the tuners would be in order. don

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
I have an 2000 Roadking with slip-ons, on Decel it pops & bangs real bad. I hate it.
Anyone know what & if a fuel management sytem would be the answer to this problem?
I have Power Commander III USB.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I take it your bike is EFI?
Did it have this problem always with the slip ons, or is it just developing now?
If it is just starting to happen or getting progressively worse, you might check all your exhaust hardware - from the nuts that hold the headers on at the manifold (these loosen as the gakets get compressed by the rubber mounted vibration), all the way back, all the clamps that hold everything together - especilly the slip-ons.
Also have a good look at where the rear header splits - prone to cracking in that area!

·
Registered
15 Posts
2000 FLHRI popping

Greetings,
Get used to it! You have opened up the breathing with the SE slip-ons. I had the same setup on my 2000 RK. As mentioned, check for leaks around the muffler/header connection. Next you may want to consider a USB PCIII Power Commander and make the zero rpm, zero throttle position a large negative number, like -85. Set your throttle positioning setting and then just live with it.
With the open SE pipes, you are going to get some popping. I swapped out my SE slip-ons for V&H ovals and it improved, but some popping is still there. I did notice that when in decel mode, make sure your throttle is all the way off, just a slight 5% will cause more popping. BTW, since you have Magetti Marelli, you cannot install the Harley tuner pack.

Anyway, I have been fighting this on my 2000 for, well, 7 years!

Good Luck
Zeroroadkill

·
Registered
42,939 Posts
I would just about guarantee you it is due to your exhaust being too free flowing for your motor setup, regardless if your bike is EFI or carbureted. I had the same problem when I first put on my Thunderheaders. I added a restrictor plate in the end of my exhaust and got rid of the popping on decel that you describe, and my bike is carbureted.

Have you had a dyno run on your bike with the new pipes? Is there a dip in the powercurve anywhere?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.