Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently picked up a ratty, chopped up 2000 Sportster 883H and have basically rebuilt the thing. Everything electrically is now functioning (headlight, brake light, run light, horn, speedo, etc) except for the turn signals both front and back. This is the only thing holding me back from cruising down the road. I'm using LED lighting for turn/brake/run and I am running a load equalizer. My turn signals do work while attached to 'run' power, but of course only solid lighting. I'd rather avoid spending money unless it's necessary, so I'm not jumping into a new TSM unless that's my only option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'd like to ride a few times before winter kicks back in.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello! I recently picked up a ratty, chopped up 2000 Sportster 883H and have basically rebuilt the thing. Everything electrically is now functioning (headlight, brake light, run light, horn, speedo, etc) except for the turn signals both front and back. This is the only thing holding me back from cruising down the road. I'm using LED lighting for turn/brake/run and I am running a load equalizer. My turn signals do work while attached to 'run' power, but of course only solid lighting. I'd rather avoid spending money unless it's necessary, so I'm not jumping into a new TSM unless that's my only option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'd like to ride a few times before winter kicks back in.
There is a Sticky in Electrical Section on TSSM/TSM .

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/electrical/16369-tsm-tssm-trouble-codes.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't use this troubleshooting method as the tank is off the bike. That and it's way too complicated for me. I would get beyond frustrated, kick the bike over and light it on fire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regardless, the blinkers don't work. I did the "Invoking TSM/TSSM Diag" and the blinkers didn't flash on any step. I can't get a code out of blinkers that don't work.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'd take a good long look at your load equalizer .

There is a thread around here on making those lights work, using two 10 ohm resisters to ground .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd take a good long look at your load equalizer .

There is a thread around here on making those lights work, using two 10 ohm resisters to ground .
If I was having problems with my load equalizer, wouldn't the rest of my lighting be affected too? Everything else works great, even the blinker lights themselves (connected to 'run' source). It's a good load equalizer too from Custom Dynamics, not an ebay special. It's wired correctly, I'm not sure how I could wire it incorrectly. It's plug and play.

·
Banned
71 Posts
If I was having problems with my load equalizer, wouldn't the rest of my lighting be affected too? Everything else works great, even the blinker lights themselves (connected to 'run' source). It's a good load equalizer too from Custom Dynamics, not an ebay special. It's wired correctly, I'm not sure how I could wire it incorrectly. It's plug and play.
To make those lights work and have the TSM work, there has to be more of a load on the TSM than what the lights themselves draw .
All load equalizers just bleed off current to ground, so the load is enough for the TSM to work .

Remember how if one bulb goes out , the blinkers don't work , that is because the load is too light .

Check the load equalizer to make sure it has a great ground, not just a good ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To make those lights work and have the TSM work, there has to be more of a load on the TSM than what the lights themselves draw .
All load equalizers just bleed off current to ground, so the load is enough for the TSM to work .

Remember how if one bulb goes out , the blinkers don't work , that is because the load is too light .

Check the load equalizer to make sure it has a great ground, not just a good ground.
How does one check a great ground from a good ground? It's a fully enclosed unit, no internal access, and I'm not willing to break it apart.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
First you need to make sure the wiring is correct then if all the wiring is correct, the tsm will flash the led's, without the load equalizer, but will flash them fast or sporadically. If your lights are wired correctly, all the way from the handlebar switches to the TSM to the lights, and they come on steady when you select , left or right, then most likely the TSM is bad. If they flash really fast or all four flash together fast, then the load equalizer is bad or wired wrong. Trace all the wiring following the factory wiring diagram first. That's the most likely problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First you need to make sure the wiring is correct then if all the wiring is correct, the tsm will flash the led's, without the load equalizer, but will flash them fast or sporadically. If your lights are wired correctly, all the way from the handlebar switches to the TSM to the lights, and they come on steady when you select , left or right, then most likely the TSM is bad. If they flash really fast or all four flash together fast, then the load equalizer is bad or wired wrong. Trace all the wiring following the factory wiring diagram first. That's the most likely problem.
Thanks for the input. I removed the load equalizer and still had no response from either side blinkers. I traced them through the bike (without tearing apart the harness) and everything seems to be correct. Front turns are wired into main harness via factory connector as ground/left turn/blank-run/blank-run/right turn/ground (i'm not using run lighting with my turns, but that does work when wired to run). tail section is wired correctly using factory tail wires (leaving the orange/white one unused) Blue=run, red/yellow=brake brown/purple=left and right turn power, black=ground. The ground is good because the brake/run/turn unit does light up for run/brake.

I also checked my fuses, all good. The connectors look as they are wired correctly to factory spec too. Tips look fine. I will note that this bike didn't have blinkers on it for probably the past 10+ years and almost all the fuses were blown when I bought it. It does fire up fine. Horn, headlamp, brake, run, ignition, etc all work fine too. Still no blinkers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya know what... I think i figured out the problem. I don't think I have a turn signal module in my bike. Kinda feel stupid but I think that's my problem. Thanks for your time!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts