Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just had my primary to trans seal replaced and ever since things have been noisey. took the cover off and properly tensioned the chain and ran great for a while then wham! dead battery. It had a hole in the bottom from vibrations and would not stay running if I took the jump pack off. New battery and it starts right up and charges to 14 when i rev it. Maiden voyage and everything is fine till I'm at temperature and there is a grinding noise that just comes and goes whenever it wants to, no rhyme or reason to it! I can feel it in the pegs and it's definatly coming from the primary. mostly when coasting but also when starting in 1st or at low speed/rpms. It seems to not do it when I'm gassin her pretty good. clutch in or out doesn't matter. all charging stuff checks out good. Any ideas? It has a v80 s&s but I'm pretty sure the primary stuff is Harley. so this noise lasts for 1 or 2 seconds at a time, it's not constant. Ive been in there 3 times checking and tightenig etc.

·
Retired citizen
24,392 Posts
So i just had my primary to trans seal replaced and ever since things have been noisey. took the cover off and properly tensioned the chain and ran great for a while then wham! dead battery. It had a hole in the bottom from vibrations and would not stay running if I took the jump pack off. New battery and it starts right up and charges to 14 when i rev it. Maiden voyage and everything is fine till I'm at temperature and there is a grinding noise that just comes and goes whenever it wants to, no rhyme or reason to it! I can feel it in the pegs and it's definatly coming from the primary. mostly when coasting but also when starting in 1st or at low speed/rpms. It seems to not do it when I'm gassin her pretty good. clutch in or out doesn't matter. all charging stuff checks out good. Any ideas? It has a v80 s&s but I'm pretty sure the primary stuff is Harley. so this noise lasts for 1 or 2 seconds at a time, it's not constant. Ive been in there 3 times checking and tightenig etc.
Check the rotor magnets.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went last night for about 48 miles or so. After loosening the chain tensioner 2 notches and no noise! Shut off and started it about 3 times during the ride. Go to leave the bar (which was my last stop) and click! Click! Dead battery... so stator and rectifier here I come!

·
Retired citizen
24,392 Posts
Went last night for about 48 miles or so. After loosening the chain tensioner 2 notches and no noise! Shut off and started it about 3 times during the ride. Go to leave the bar (which was my last stop) and click! Click! Dead battery... so stator and rectifier here I come!
Then you'll have the rotor removed, good time to check that the magnets are still glued tight.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
553 Posts
Seems a bit odd the loose magnets right after primary seal replacement. All things usually checked during that procedure a well as bearings. My understanding is if an air wrench is used to remove front sprocket will loosen them. Hopefully whoever did it didn't use one.

·
Registered
553 Posts
They f'd my bike up good. I've had to redo everything they did except the lifters...
Sorry to hear that, our bikes are expensive enough for parts alone plus labor. It always pisses me off when folks get burned by substandard work. My wife would be holding me back from going to that shop with a large wrench, to make some adjustments!

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are a world renowned shop for racing engines and s&s stuff so I was excited to bring it there. R&R cycle in Manchester NH guess their repair work is not as good as their machine work. I hate to call them out but this is getting ridiculous...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would definitely approach them ask for a meeting with owner and service manager. Being an ex service manager, be nice be firm and if he or she are reasonable people they should offer you a refund on "work done incorrectly" use those words as it will not be what you really want to say but will not be intimidating. You may be surprised at the results. You have everthing to gain. Take my word for it you get the owner and service manager, they don't like problems. They make enough money so it's not going to hurt them financially. If you get something it is better than nothing. There are other methods, as well. But that is the chain of command at shop to hit up with problems first. It gives them the opportunity to do the right thing, given that they just may. Gl bro, its just advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts