Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum, recently just bought my first sportster a 2001 883 Hugger. When I bought the bike there were no turn signals on it what so ever, I am looking to put some led turn signals on the rear first and the fronts can come on a later date. After investigating there seems to not be a harness for the rear turn signals on the bike, has anyone on here built a turn signal harness from scratch before any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hi I am new to the forum, recently just bought my first sportster a 2001 883 Hugger. When I bought the bike there were no turn signals on it what so ever, I am looking to put some led turn signals on the rear first and the fronts can come on a later date. After investigating there seems to not be a harness for the rear turn signals on the bike, has anyone on here built a turn signal harness from scratch before any help would be appreciated.
Both front and rear signals should be "plug&play" setup. Unless someone cut up your main harness to remove the turn signal plugs.

Without both front and rear signals, they will not "blink".

:biker:

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Get a shop manual. Make sure it`s the Harley one. Not a cheap knock-off. One on ebay now. Or a Dealer can get you one too.

I know people who have removed the turn signals to clean up the looks of the bike. Never known anyone to remove the wiring. Are you sure your not missing it. Maybe the previous owner just cut it short or tucked it away somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to look deeper into the harness this weekend. I had the seat off and used a wiring diagram out of a clymer manual. At that point there was no wires that could visibly been seen that would run to the turn signals. I also didnt see any plugs not plugged in. Thanks for the help much appreciated.

·
245 Posts
The rear section (turn, tail, license plate, and brake) plugs into the main harness under the seat. It it right where the rear fender meets the backbone from under the tank. Should be a plug & socket, 6-8 wires I think.
Goes thru a hole in the rear fender, runs along the top inside fender to the tail light. You might want to start with the tail light and work forward.
You might be able to see a little better if you lift the bike, to let the rear wheel drop. If you still need room, disconnect the rear bottom shock bolts. This will let the rear tire drop even more, if you don't want to pull the rear wheel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts