Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Sportster hugger. I am looking to replace the rear tyre. I understand the front tyre is tubed, but is the rear tyre also tubed on these models? If so that will make tracing tyres a bit more limited I guess.

The front has a Bridgestone and I had the tube replaced. The rear has a tired old Dunlop Harley tyre that is starting to show it's age and I would rather match the brands both front and rear.

So, do I need a tubed tyre for that rear wheel or tubeless? I was just a little confused as the rear wheel is spoked too and thought spoked wheels are usually tubed.

I'm also looking to up the tyre to a 140, hopefully the belt pully will need spacing out a little to keep the belt from rubbing.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, yes they are spoked. Tubed it is!

I assume tubeless will work with a tube? I noticed there are TT and TL tyres available, the latter way more.

·
91 FXLR
50 Posts
I have a 2001 Sportster hugger. I am looking to replace the rear tyre.

Me I would buy Michelin Commander III Cruiser Motorcycle Tires.

You can't Beat them. My bikes get 24,000 miles on the Rear Tire, that's better than 9,000 miles. These Commander III's are a lot longer mileage than the II's. If you ever rode in the Rain, felt your bike wobble at puddles on the Interstate, it's the tires, it always scared me. I would slow down to a Crawl. These Tires are the Best in Rain. You will never have that experience again with Michelin. I run 75 in the hard rains and it feels like dry pavement. They're the same Price as the Rest.

Also to let you know about going to a larger diameter tire, it will decrease your RPM's on the Highway. That's good on a Trip, use less Gas and higher speed. My FXLR has Power, I got a 140 on the rear, Stock is 130. I also have a Baker O.D. 6 Speed Trans. I can cruise at 85 to 90 MPH at 3200 RPM's, that's the Sweet spot for the engine and have plenty of power left.

One last thing. Michelin Commander II's and III's, they have a thin side wall, they are not like the other Brands. Michelin Commander Max Air PSI is 42, that's where I keep mine. People that have run the other Brands they think they can put 36 PSI Air in these tires also. Baggers have reported Michelin Commander tires coming off the Wheels in curves. It was due to Low air Pressure. So keep them max out at 42 PSI and always check them before riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, just purchased myself two new tires. I went with the Avon Cobra Chrome, 110 in the front and 140 in the rear. I measured up and both the the front and rear, there should be enough room to squeeze these slightly wider tires in.

Question about the tube. Should I use a standard 16" and 19" for the respective wheels, do they need to be tire specific, ie 140 and 110? I know jack shit about tubes! I want to replace them both, would be silly not to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I fitted my new tyres this evening. Really please with how they look. I upped the rear from 130/16 to a 140, and the front from a 100/19 to 110.

They fill out very nicely, the front particularly looks much wider. I measured across and these Chromes are 117mm so they are quite a bit wider than 110 and much wider than stock. It fits well without a fender, but with the fender I may have to grind back the fork/fender mounts just a little to open up the fender legs. I do want to fender back on to keep crap from my face.

The rear 140 measures 145mm across and yes, look much better than the stock 130. There is about 4mm clearance to the belt, I have no belt guard. I didn't have to do anything to the rear in the way of spacers.

I had the original Dunlop on the rear, it was a horrible tyre. Hard and had poor traction, but that maybe due to age.

I used the tyre machine at work, they fit and beaded well to the stock rims.

Anyways, will take a ride on it tomorrow and let you all know how they ride. The original Cobras had a good reputation for being sticky, I hope the Chromes do too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts