Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother biker needing help

2001 Ultra Classic riding great until I went to work and shut it all down. That evening loaded up to head home the bike was dead.
Jumped battery to start bike. Made it home ok, but noticed head lights and highway lights wound not turn off with the main ignition switch.
I had to disconnect the battery. Thought it was the switch, Ohm'd out ok. The switch is good. Fuse for the lights is intact. (is there a light relay??).
Coincidentally, I left the ignition switch UNPLUGGED and re connected the battery and the light came ON. The lights do respond to the high/low beam switch.
Even with the ignition switch unplugged! Not sure where to look next.

AL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brother biker needing help

2001 Ultra Classic riding great until I went to work and shut it all down. That evening loaded up to head home the bike was dead.
Jumped battery to start bike. Made it home ok, but noticed head lights and highway lights wound not turn off with the main ignition switch.
I had to disconnect the battery. Thought it was the switch, Ohm'd out ok. The switch is good. Fuse for the lights is intact. (is there a light relay??).
Coincidentally, I left the ignition switch UNPLUGGED and re connected the battery and the light came ON. The lights do respond to the high/low beam switch.
Even with the ignition switch unplugged! Not sure where to look next.

AL

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
You need a wiring diagram. It's in the FACTORY SHOP MANUAL. Have you done any work, like handle bars or adjusting switches and such?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need a wiring diagram. It's in the FACTORY SHOP MANUAL. Have you done any work, like handle bars or adjusting switches and such?
No work myself. The head light plug was changed secondary to it over heating, brown burn scare. It was replaced and soldered together.

·
Retired citizen
22,854 Posts
Headlight relay is in the fuse box under the left side cover.
I have an Ultra at my shop that the headlight stays on unless I turn the ignition switch past the off position. The switch is faulty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts