Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a newbe to this forum. I do have a question for you. I just recently purchased a 2002 electra glide. I am very happy with the bike other than the exhaust. I am not into loud. The previous owner bought it new and had the dealer swap the factory exhaust for a set of sampson slipons. They do sound good but just too loud for me.

Anyway, I thought I would look around for factory exhaust and I did find a pair off of a 07 street glide. I figured that they would work fine and they still might. I put them on and at first I thought they were fine. After taking a longer ride I noticed that the bike just wasn't running as smooth. I put t he samsons back on and it seems to run smoother just louder. I later discovered that the 07 mufflers were that of a catalyst muffler and was wondering if that was an issue on an 02. If anyone can educate me I would surely appreciate it.

What year mufflers would fit onto my 02 without any issues?
When did the catalyst mufflers comeout?
Would the carb have been rejetted when the samsons were put on?

Looking forward to any replies,

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Would the carb have been rejetted when the samsons were put on?

Looking forward to any replies,

Thanks,
Dave

That would be my suspicion. The Sampsons being less restrictive than stock would require a richening of the fuel system. Now going from the Sampsons (and the fuel system adjusted for them) to stock would make your bike run rich until you get your fuel system adjusted again.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Welcome and the 07 mufflers are fine. You just have to rejet your carb down a size or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update to original question

Good morning,

Well I found some 02 mufflers and put them on with the same results. IT does not run as smooth. Now I am looking for your suggestions as far as air cleaner and rejetting.

Have most owners replaced their stock air cleaners with after market ones and if so which ones?

Have most owners rejetted their carbs? I you did, did you do it yourself and where did you get your kit?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

The carbs were not rejetted initially by the dealer when the mufflers were installed. Thus I have the original factory jets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Electra glide exhaust

there's one other real simple issue along with the Jets in a carburetor that may have been adjusted. One of the simpler carb adjustments, without re-jetting, is that sometimes the tapered carb pin in the emulation tube could have also been swapped out.into a look at it carburetor needs to be looked at, the problem lies here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts