Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. All of my previous bikes have been carbureted. This bike sat in my neighbor's garage unattended for approx. 14 years after his father passed. I've cleaned the tank and rebuilt the fuel pump assembly (new fuel pump/strainer, sending unit, filter, regulator, re-wired the harness). Also, new plugs and crankcase, primary and transmission fluids. I bench-tested the fuel pump assembly prior to re-installing into the tank and gas flowed as desired during the test from pump through regulator. When I trigger the on/off handlebar switch there is audible evidence of fuel pump activity for the usual 2-3 seconds.

It is my understanding that the fuel pump will run continuously when cranking and running... (?). I know my fuel lines were initially empty and have cranked the starter a couple of times for up to 10 seconds each in the attempt to fire the engine, with no success or evidence of fueling or firing. I would appreciate suggestions of further actions I should take to determine the reason for not firing up. Of course, there is tank gas and the sending unit is giving the gauge an approx. 1/2 full reading. Are there other related issues I should check relative to relays or fuses that could be prohibiting starting? I've checked the 15 amp fuel pump fuse and it is good.

I'm not particularly electronics-minded and the EFI system is totally new to me. Assume novice-level. I would like to engage this restoration myself to the extent possible, but I must also realize my knowledge & experience limitations. Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions!

·
Retired citizen
23,508 Posts
The fuel pump only runs for 3 seconds then pauses until the engine starts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, sir. Any further input as to why she shouldn’t be firing? Should the 2-3 second pump run be adequate to prime the post-regulator line run?

·
Just Ride
3,318 Posts
Clean or change injectors.

·
Retired citizen
23,508 Posts
Can you see the IAC pintle moving when you turn the ignition on ? Look up into the IAC port in the venturii to verify movement. Also you can clean that port by spraying brake clean or carb cleaner into it while cycling the ignition on and off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you identify the "IAC Pintle" for me, please? Where should I find the IAC port? Sorry for the confusion, but thanks! I have a can of carb cleaner.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Are you sure you have spark? Quick way to check to see if a no start problem is spark or fuel related is to give the air intake a little spritz of starting fluid. If it starts and runs a second or two it's a fuel issue.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure you have spark? Quick way to check to see if a no start problem is spark or fuel related is to give the air intake a little spritz of starting fluid. If it starts and runs a second or two it's a fuel issue.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Actually, yes...spark is verified. I believe it’s a fueling issue. I’m replacing the check valve & hose tomorrow, which I elected not to replace earlier. Perhaps a hose kink or swollen o-ring after the gas bath over many years. Process of elimination.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've cleaned the tank and rebuilt the fuel pump assembly (new fuel pump/strainer, sending unit, filter, regulator, re-wired the harness).
You started on the fuel system cleanup but you didn't finish. What FritzHD and Schmidty said above. You need to clean/replace the throttle body and injectors also.

I'll bet your ignition is fine (considering the very low miles on this bike). Take some starting fluid or a spray of gasoline into the TB inlet and crank. Engine should "chuggle" showing signs it wants to start. That would confirm ignition is ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts