Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to the forums

I have a 2002 Fxdx. Has about 17k miles. The other day while riding about 70mph on the highway the bike just died as if it ran out of gas. I had just filled up so that obviously was not the problem. After stopped the bike would not restart.

after getting the bike home I drained the tank because I thought I got bad gas and that didn’t fix the problem. The starter cranks the engine and every so often it’ll turn over and run for about half a second before dying. I checked and have spark. Also replaced the plugs and put in another coil I had laying around. I’m getting sufficient fuel to the carb float bowl and cleaned the carb twice and no improvement. The bike is also not displaying any codes or a check engine light

I’m running out of ideas as to what could be cashing this. Maybe the crank position sensor?

·
Retired citizen
23,104 Posts
Hello. New to the forums

I have a 2002 Fxdx. Has about 17k miles. The other day while riding about 70mph on the highway the bike just died as if it ran out of gas. I had just filled up so that obviously was not the problem. After stopped the bike would not restart.

after getting the bike home I drained the tank because I thought I got bad gas and that didn’t fix the problem. The starter cranks the engine and every so often it’ll turn over and run for about half a second before dying. I checked and have spark. Also replaced the plugs and put in another coil I had laying around. I’m getting sufficient fuel to the carb float bowl and cleaned the carb twice and no improvement. The bike is also not displaying any codes or a check engine light

I’m running out of ideas as to what could be cashing this. Maybe the crank position sensor?
YES. I just finished up a problem '03 Softail that had no spark. A new crank sensor got it running.The bad crank sensor measured good too, 1003 ohms.
Also the bike had a bad VSS which will also cause a no spark symptom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts