Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
FYI that small wire is the B+ feed from the regulator.
Thanks for the clarification Schmidty. I thought I traced that wire down from the circuit breaker, but it's well hidden back there....

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
22,930 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Schmidty. I thought I traced that wire down from the circuit breaker, but it's well hidden back there....

That wire comes from the regulator to the breaker then down to the starter stud then charge volts goes up the big wire to the battery positive terminal.
You'll figure that out when you have to replace the regulator.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just to update for anyone who might research this in the future.
It turns out that you can not clear the DTC's on these older bikes unless you have the HD computer scanner Gizmo, which I don't. After completing the repair the DTC becomes a " historic" code, which is identified by the CEL going off at startup, then coming back on for 8 seconds before turning off again. This occurs for the following 30 ignition cycles. Important piece of info there that I didn't have.

Anyway, to shorten a long story the problem turned out to be a broken wire. At the starter B+ post there is the battery cable and a smaller wire that feeds the main circuit breaker. That smaller wire was broken off of the terminal and making intermittent contact, which apparently threw the codes. Rode 150 miles Sunday with no issues

How old is it that can not have the codes cleared?
I have an 04 Road King Classic and I can clear my codes.

·
Retired citizen
22,930 Posts
How old is it that can not have the codes cleared?
I have an 04 Road King Classic and I can clear my codes.
The speedo codes can be cleared not the ECM current or historic codes, need the scanner or shop computer for that.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts