Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across an '02 Heritage Softail Classic with 9800 miles and the usual extras (pipes, new battery, chrome bits...) asking price $7500

Looks like trade value I s around $6500.

What are these bike going for and is there any known problems with the '02 era Softails?

Thanks!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I ran across an '02 Heritage Softail Classic with 9800 miles and the usual extras (pipes, new battery, chrome bits...) asking price $7500

Looks like trade value I s around $6500.

What are these bike going for and is there any known problems with the '02 era Softails?

Thanks!
If the bike is in excellent condition, which it should be with the low miles a price of 6500 to 7500 sounds about right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '02 Heritage.
I would say it is a good price considering the low miles.
I paid $6,500 for mine with 25,000 mile on it.
You will need to check the Cam Chain Tensioner Shoes around 25,000 miles so you have a good 15,000 miles until you will need to check them. Simple to do. Just Google "Twin Cam, cam chain tensioner replacement" and you will get a "lot" of hits.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm on the fence with this one. It looks like a 3 owner bike so far. The guy that has it now took it as part payment for a car but doesn't ride.

Looks to be in good shape, not great shape - but it is 13 years old.

I'm thinking 6500 - 6800. I'll let you know if it comes through.

·
Registered
336 Posts
6500 is about all I would go. there are nice used low mileage harleys from all years out there. LOTS of em too! and we are in the middle of winter so in a lot of the country they are just sitting. In April though it might be different, but as I said there are plenty of em out there, find the one you like and grab it! It's up to you, as long as YOU feel you got a good deal, then you probably did.
You most certainly want to look at the cam chain tensioner shoes, especially the inner one. Some last forever, others fail quite early in life. As lv2tinker said earlier just google it, you will get all kinds of hits. One thing you will probably be able to do is have a gear drive set installed. At only 9800 miles the run out should be with in tolerance and you will never have to worry.
Good luck!

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
If he took it as partial payment for a car I'd low ball him.

...3 years old, it's before all the frame changes, five gallon tank instead of six, five speed tranny instead of six... 3 owners...I don't know...I'll give you 5K.

Good luck!

Edit: I looked on Craigslist to see what they are going for around here. 6500 would be a sweet deal. There's some very clean ones going for 11K!

·
On the loose
8,719 Posts
I'd say 6500 would be a nice price , 7000 wouldn't even be bad.

Check the cam chain tensioners to be safe , there is no safe mileage for them , under 10K - 15K is generally going to be fine but until you look you don't know.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm on the fence with this one. It looks like a 3 owner bike so far. The guy that has it now took it as part payment for a car but doesn't ride.

Looks to be in good shape, not great shape - but it is 13 years old.

I'm thinking 6500 - 6800. I'll let you know if it comes through.
3 owner so far? Does this mean the present owner can't / will not disclose the former owners. If the bike is only in good not great shape when it only has 9800 miles it was most likely rode hard. The bike may still be worth $6500, but because of the condition and ownership issue I myself would be looking for another bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've seen prices for Heritages all over. Anywhere from a '98 for $7,900 to a 2006 for $7,900 to a '02 for $13,000... These are what people are asking on craigslist, doesn't mean that's what they are going for. Seems like a decent deal.

I bought my '10 last winter for a steal, and am having trouble selling with asking at $12,000...

The prices seem to fluctuate, but I like to compare KBB and Nadaguide. That's what Harley told me they look at when I asked them how much they would give me for my '10.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
I just missed an '03 anniversary last summer for $5500 only had 2k miles. It was sweet. That was at a HD dealer. I would keep looking. Look nationally, a lot of places offer "fly and ride".

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah - prices seem pretty variable. I'm going to pass on this one and keep my eye open for something else. I've had a few Harley's in the past so I know eventually you find the right guy at the right time. Too many of these bikes are bought by folks that think they're going to enjoy bikes until they get one home.

I would have jumped on that 350 miler too! There out there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts