Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode about 250 miles a few days ago, then rode 25 miles this morning, tried to start it up about 5 min after I shut it down and bike did not start.. I cleaned the spark plugs, but still nothing, any ideas?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You're not giving us much to work with, so I'll go with the basics.

Every gasoline engine needs three things to run: fuel, spark and air. The first thing to do is make sure all three are happening.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got new spark plugs.. I'm going to install them in a few minutes..I will check the air filter tank has gas,

·
Registered
561 Posts
I rode about 250 miles a few days ago, then rode 25 miles this morning, tried to start it up about 5 min after I shut it down and bike did not start.. I cleaned the spark plugs, but still nothing, any ideas?
Define what you mean by would not start.
Does it turn over and grind away? Are the headlights on with the ignition on?
Does it start then immediately quit?
Is this a stock bike, ie engine/ exhaust modifications?
Did you check the battery connections for tightness?
When you turn the ignition on do you hear a whirr for a few seconds?
Much more info is needed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spark plugs installed but I don't get a spark.
Headlights go on, fuel injection activates, and u hear a noise when I hit the start button.. but it does not start

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I push the run button my signals flash a few times then stop.. is that a warning of some sort of alert of something wrong?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Are you able to check for spark?

Basic checks -- 1. Verify spark. 2. Check for fuel delivery to cylinders.

Slightly risky -- remove air filter cover, spray a SMALL squirt of starting fluid (ether) onto the filter element. Turn the ignition on and hit the starter button. If you get a pop, this tells you that you have spark, and also may indicate that you are not getting fuel to the cylinders. Or at least not in the proper ratio for a combustible mixture. Careful with this tactic--you're not really trying to start it like this; just using it as a diagnostic trick to figure out your next direction.

--

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Make sure that your plugs are grounded to the block when you're testing them, or they won't spark. Sometimes it's hard to test a plug simply with the "do I see a spark?" test.

But, if you're certain that the plugs are good and you're certain that you're not getting a spark, then it has to either be in the plug wires, the ignition coil, or the wiring to the ignition coil.

It is probably not a plug or a plug wire. Simply because it would be very unusual for both of them to die at the same time. If you had one dead cylinder and one cylinder that was getting fire, it would at least sputter and try to start.

Do you smell raw gas after cranking the starter for several seconds?

·
Registered
561 Posts
When I push the run button my signals flash a few times then stop.. is that a warning of some sort of alert of something wrong?
Do you have a security system on the bike? If the security system is armed and you try to start it it will flash the turn signals.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure that your plugs are grounded to the block when you're testing them, or they won't spark. Sometimes it's hard to test a plug simply with the "do I see a spark?" test.

But, if you're certain that the plugs are good and you're certain that you're not getting a spark, then it has to either be in the plug wires, the ignition coil, or the wiring to the ignition coil.

It is probably not a plug or a plug wire. Simply because it would be very unusual for both of them to die at the same time. If you had one dead cylinder and one cylinder that was getting fire, it would at least sputter and try to start.

Do you smell raw gas after cranking the starter for several seconds?
I grounded the spark plug on head, but no spark..
I don't smell any gas. I checked the battery connection, it's tight with no corrosion ..

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Do you have a security system on the bike? If the security system is armed and you try to start it it will flash the turn signals.
^^^^^^ THAT ^^^ I have an '02 FLHRCI and if you've inadvertently hit the FOB while in your pocket you probably armed the security system. Press the FOB button several times with the ignition on. My two cents.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
After reading through the post again, it does sound like your alarm system is armed or something is wrong with it.

For some reason, I thought that if your bike was armed that it would start and then just die immediately.

Does the alarm arm and disarm when you push the button on the fob? If you don't have a siren, then the signal lights should flash.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
After reading through the post again, it does sound like your alarm system is armed or something is wrong with it.

For some reason, I thought that if your bike was armed that it would start and then just die immediately.

Does the alarm arm and disarm when you push the button on the fob? If you don't have a siren, then the signal lights should flash.

Another very real possibility is that the TSSM has failed. The lights will flash if the tip sensor has been activated. When the TSSM fails it can behave as if the tip sensor has been activated. There was another guy on here a couple years ago who had a very similar issue with his road glide. He had to replace ttheTSSM.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
Check for codes, the procedure is a sticky in the electrical section.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually comes down to the starter... Which is out of my.range of work right now.. Between 2 kids and 60 hrs of work a week, also bracket that was attached from starter to exhaust cracked, exhaust cracked also, so it's time to amp up exhaust with vanes hines.
It's at a shop, back on the road friday or Saturday.. Cant wait..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts