Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Road King (FLHTPI). It is the police interceptor package w 46k on it now. When i down shift to first and come to a stop the bike loses compression and stalls out. When i restart it the sound of the exhaust sounds completely different almost like its muffled. Any idea what it could be??? i was told a possible intake leak.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
What leads you to believe that it is losing compression? That doesn't seem very likely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess its the way it cuts out. I'm not positive on it. I can keep it running if i keep on the throttle.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Bad gas?? Anything done to the bike prior to this problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fresh tank of 91 octane. It did this the last day of riding in the fall. Before i took it out this year i changed the plugs and wires. Ran fine the first two short rides and then started this again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not that im aware of. Not sure what to look for if it did toss out codes. I have have the book on the bike. Havent seen anything in it yet to help out.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Not that im aware of. Not sure what to look for if it did toss out codes. I have have the book on the bike. Havent seen anything in it yet to help out.
Without a specific reader, on a 2002 you have to jump through a few hoops to pull the codes .

You have to wire a jumper on the data terminal and there is a series of switching this and that to get it to flash the codes back to you. It's not like the 2004 and later bikes that will just flash it up on the odometer screen. I think the process is posted in the electrical section.

Usually if the bike has a current code, the security key light on the speedo will stay illuminated when you start it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
It did this the last day of riding in the fall.
This tells me that the problem started last year, plugs and wires didn't help. I know its a PIA, but I'd have to agree with what everyone else has said, follow procedure and see if you can get any codes.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
In addition to checking the codes, you should also check the basics. Plug wires, plugs, etc. It only takes 2 minutes to pull the plugs and have a look. Although typically if it is an ignition issue, it will also miss and struggle a bit at the higher RPMs.

Stalling at idle is a common symptom of low fuel pressure. The fact that it will keep running if you keep the throttle open further supports the thought. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? If not a filter issue, it could be that the pump is starting to fail.

Despite the all the fancy crap they put on them now, a motor is still a motor. It needs fuel, air and spark. If it won't run, make sure those things are okay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts