Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First time posting to the forum. Searched but couldn't find any posts related to my issue, so I'm looking for advice. I have a 2002 Sportster Hugger 883 and am working on upgrading all the lights to LED. So far, without issue, I've changed the headlight, as well as the front/rear signals with smoked lens covers. The tail light is the problem. The mount for the tail light lens has STL 89 stamped on it, and only accommodates a single 1157 bulb. There are no plugs or typical white blocks with multiple wires that we all see on the YouTube "how to" videos. I've attached a picture of the mount to show you all what I'm working with. I bought an Eagle Lights smoked out tail light that would have looked great, but had to return it because it didn't fit the mount (my definition).

That said, I'd like to replace the OEM lens with something a little less bulky than what's on there now, but the STL 89 mount only seems to accommodate only a stock lens. I actually bought a "layback" style red lens from J&P, which I thought would work on the mount, but of course didn't fit. Very frustrating.

I'm not very comfortable messing with the wiring, so I'm looking for a real plug and play solution. I bought a white 1157 LED bulb for the current mount, which is fine as a short term fix, but need a recommendation on a lens that will work. My current one needs replacing, as it fell off during a ride last year and has some damage on it.

If there was some sort of smoked LED tail light solution, full assembly - mount & lens - that I could could swap out with the existing assembly, that would be best. If not, I would like a recommendation on a smaller lens. Thanks, in advance, for any responses coming my way. Ride safe everyone!!

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Suggest you scan the Custom Dynamics website then maybe call their customer service folks. They have top notch lighting products and very helpful phone staff.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,106 Posts
The issue is going to be lighting up the plate.. that’s why they had a wide top for the clear lens

68140-04 is the stock lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggest you scan the Custom Dynamics website then maybe call their customer service folks. They have top notch lighting products and very helpful phone staff.
Thx Joe. I may have to go that route. Their lighting is very expensive, and I was trying to get this project done under a tight budget. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue is going to be lighting up the plate.. that’s why they had a wide top for the clear lens

68140-04 is the stock lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thx Link. I’ll check the web for that part number and see if I can score a deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all. First time posting to the forum. Searched but couldn't find any posts related to my issue, so I'm looking for advice. I have a 2002 Sportster Hugger 883 and am working on upgrading all the lights to LED. So far, without issue, I've changed the headlight, as well as the front/rear signals with smoked lens covers. The tail light is the problem. The mount for the tail light lens has STL 89 stamped on it, and only accommodates a single 1157 bulb. There are no plugs or typical white blocks with multiple wires that we all see on the YouTube "how to" videos. I've attached a picture of the mount to show you all what I'm working with. I bought an Eagle Lights smoked out tail light that would have looked great, but had to return it because it didn't fit the mount (my definition).

That said, I'd like to replace the OEM lens with something a little less bulky than what's on there now, but the STL 89 mount only seems to accommodate only a stock lens. I actually bought a "layback" style red lens from J&P, which I thought would work on the mount, but of course didn't fit. Very frustrating.

I'm not very comfortable messing with the wiring, so I'm looking for a real plug and play solution. I bought a white 1157 LED bulb for the current mount, which is fine as a short term fix, but need a recommendation on a lens that will work. My current one needs replacing, as it fell off during a ride last year and has some damage on it.

If there was some sort of smoked LED tail light solution, full assembly - mount & lens - that I could could swap out with the existing assembly, that would be best. If not, I would like a recommendation on a smaller lens. Thanks, in advance, for any responses coming my way. Ride safe everyone!!

View attachment 784644

Followup 5/15/2020 >>> So after searching all over the net, I came across the DRAG SPECIALTIES Low-Profile L.E.D. Taillight w/Top Tag Light on a few websites that were all the exact same price (enforced by DS I'm sure), and advertised as an "exact fit" for my bike. Now PartsGiant.com has a fit guarantee, and if they say it will fit your bike and it doesn't, they will let you ship it back to them for free. With nothing to lose, I ordered the part. SUCCESS!!! There are two electrical harnesses that come with the the light, one has a 1157 connector that plug-n-plays right into the socket, the low profile lens fit perfectly, and the light is very bright. And with the smoked lens, my LED light upgrade project is now complete.

Thanks to everyone who provided some feedback. Much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts