Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired citizen
26,418 Posts
We took everything apart, took float off, cleaned it made sure it functioning properly, took out the jets and sprayed/cleaned them assuring all the holes in the large jet and smaller ones were clear.

Cleaned off the top plunger. Pretty much gave everything a thorough cleaning. There was some gunk in the bowl, so cleaned everything and put it back together, didn't have new gaskets but the old ones seemed to be in alright shape. They weren't deteriorated
When you removed the main jet did the needle jet fall out at the same time ??? The symptom you described aligns with an upside down needle jet ! You can check this without taking the carb back apart. Remove the AC and look into the carb throat where the needle passes thru the jet. The top of the jet should appear concave not flat. That jet fits in either direction and the symptom you describe indicates the jet is installed upside down ! Maybe ?

·
Retired citizen
26,418 Posts
I will check that needle tonight as well, I remember we were looking at it wondering if it was in the correct position
Just take a peek into the carb throat where the needle fits thru the jet, the jet should be concave, not flat across the top.

·
Retired citizen
26,418 Posts
All over the place with diagnostics for this OP's bike ! I haven't chimed in yet because they're so many other knowledge sources looking at this thread ! Waiting to see where it goes before I open my mouth !

·
Retired citizen
26,418 Posts
All over the place with diagnostics for this OP's bike ! I haven't chimed in yet because they're so many other knowledge sources looking at this thread ! Waiting to see where it goes before I open my mouth !
I think I posted this to the wrong thread. I've already chimed into this thread earlier.

Reactions: Zenarrow

·
Retired citizen
26,418 Posts
Ok finally have some time here Schmidty, and definitely the top of the needle jet seems flat and not concaved.....

Think I should remove the carb and flip it over?
Just remove the bowl then the main jet holder and the needle jet will fall out, it reinstalls flat side down. Concave side toward the needle. Also verify that the needle clip is in the proper groove, from memory the middle groove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts