Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first long run of the year.. on the parkway cruisin in between 60 to 70 mph engine starts popin like crazy speedo drops to 0 and engine light is blinking..start to pull over and it corrects itself and finish the ride...2003 fatboy with carb..cleaned the battery terminals but they were not loose or dirty...any ideas??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my first thought too.. ran the tank out.. filled w fresh.. any thoughts on why the speedo dropped to 0 while still movin

·
Administrator
13,278 Posts
Speedo dropping is electrical. I think you have a loose or almost broken connection somewhere. Try turning the key to on and move wiring harnesses around and watch for the lights to flicker.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Probably the ignition switch is corroded internally. Pull the dash up and look at the back of the switch, if you see green corrosion inside the little windows the switch needs cleaning or replacement.

·
cyclesncarolina
1 Posts
If you are still having trouble you may want to ck the handlebar kill switch. If it starts dying press on the switch in the on position and if it catches back up they may be it. Also if it want crank, try flipping the switch back and forth and if it will then start it is probably that switch. You can also jump around that switch. I have replaced this switch twice on my 00 Heritage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts