Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, after doing a lot of searching through the forums over the past few days and trying several suggestions for my problem without luck I am making my 1st post here in hopes I am either a moron and missing something easy or there is something I am unaware of and have missed in the manual and clymers for this bike...

So i just bought a 2003 FLHTCUI anniversary edition the previous owner's brother had paperwork on a just completed fluid change and maintenance so I rode it home 210 miles and put another 150 or so tooling around getting a feel for the bike... Bike ran great, but the battery was 2 years old and I thought it best to replace it while it was in my garage than have it go out on the highway so last friday I changed out the battery with a fresh battery and when I turned the bike on and put the switch to run the horn and brake lights stay on and I get nothing except a click at the relay under the seat... i have power everywhere else and it cranks but won't start if i direct jump the starter. I have run down every ground on the bike and opened and checked all looms for a short or pinched/broken wire, none found.

I don't believe it has the TSSM just the TSM and I have no FOB, but neither procedure for learning mode seems to work at all anyway. The guy who I bought it from did not have any actual information on the bike or options as it was his brothers who had passed away, but it did come with a screamin eagle EFI super tuner although I am not sure why a tune would have anything to do with the ignition.

So i just thought I would post here and see if I get some suggestions I haven't thought about before I put it on a trailer and take it to the dealership $$$

Thanks...

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
So all you did was replace the battery and now the engine doesn't start and the horn and brake lights stay on ! ? You turn the ignition on and the horn sounds continuously ? Strange !
Have you tested all the fuses including the maxi-fuse ?

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
The maxi-fuse is supposed to be removed prior to replacing the battery or doing any electrical work on the bike.
Both the lights and horn are controlled thru relays. The relay contacts might be stuck causing the lights and horn to remain on. The relays are located behind the battery pushed down into rubber cups in the frame cross member.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The horn is not controlled by a relay, it is just powered by the switch, which gets power from the accessory circuit.

Are you sure the battery is the same as the old one, in regards to what side the + and - posts are?

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
The horn is not controlled by a relay, it is just powered by the switch, which gets power from the accessory circuit.

Are you sure the battery is the same as the old one, in regards to what side the + and - posts are?
I stand corrected :unsure:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts