Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OTL
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase a "MINT" 2003 Black Anniversary stock Wide Glide with only 575 miles for $8K, plus $600. shipping. The bike's rubber has been off the ground in a garage, and started periodically all these years. So, should I jump at $8600 if I have it checked out and all looks good???

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
According to NADA the average retail on that bike is $7785.00 and I'd be willing to bet that the average 2003 has a lot more than 575 miles. Sounds like a good deal if the bike is really in good condition. And that is a real big IF on a bike that has been sitting for that long. Even with them starting the bike periodically that doesn't mean they ran it long enough to burn off moisture in the engine.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If owner can substantiate the mileage and it has the factory speedometer and you have seen good clear close-up photo's of any & all damage areas , including the cracks in the sidewalls of the tires , then it deserves a closer examination/ride before closing the deal .
But , yes , if everything checks out , that's a damn good deal cause 03 was last of the well built dyna's except for the cam tensioners . Maybe you could even negotiate a thousand off to do the cam-chain update which it WILL need .

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my buddy got a as new 02 super glide for 5800-had 1100 miles or something- cant remember-3rd shift has made my brain mush-

the periodic starting can cause more harm than good -also seals can dry out from lack of use -
take into account the cost of new rubber - full service - battery and some unknowns

your at 8600 add in those service things and just short of 10 grand can be a reality-
if it was me- id offer 7-this time of year you can get some crazy good deals

·
OTL
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for tips, everyone. Absolutely, the very low miles is not necessarily a good thing, and I am seeing some pretty sweet deals coming along. Won't rush into anything for sure.:thumb

·
On the loose
8,718 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for tips, everyone. Absolutely, the very low miles is not necessarily a good thing, and I am seeing some pretty sweet deals coming along. Won't rush into anything for sure.:thumb
Excellent decision. As mentioned earlier, there's way too much potential for nasty surprises with a bike that's been sitting that long.

Best of luck, and be sure to holler back at us when you find the ride that is waiting for you somewhere out there.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hate to see ya pass up a potentially cream-puff W/G without even trying to deal with the owner . I mean after all I've seen the guy on "WHAT's IN THE BARN" crank-up & ride 70-80-100 year old bikes that haven't run in over half a century . Of course there are some important procedure's you should do to the bike before just starting it up & riding off into the sunset !

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have a chance to purchase a "MINT" 2003 Black Anniversary stock Wide Glide with only 575 miles for $8K, plus $600. shipping. The bike's rubber has been off the ground in a garage, and started periodically all these years. So, should I jump at $8600 if I have it checked out and all looks good???
Many 100th anniversary bikes were bought with the thought that they were going to increase in value, this sounds like the case here. And they might have if they did not sell the snot out of them. It is a decent price not a great deal, providing the owner treated the gas (sta-bilt or sea foam). Even with the battery being on a tender it is 12 years old and will most likely need to be replaced. Even with the tires being off the ground with age they will get hard and should be replaced. Also was the bike kept in a climate controlled garage or just a shed, condensation can still get into a garage and do a lot of damage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a 07 Low rider with 6800 miles.
It had been in a slow speed tip over so it got the full insurance do up.
brand new tank with factory black paint and original graphics.
new handle bars ,grips, levers, front fender.....you get the idea.
Clear title.
$7000. This was a good deal cause I used it as a trade in on a new bike but if I would have kept it it was still a good deal
If you want an 03 for nostalgic or collectable consideration ( your great grand children)
or you just want that bike it is an "OK deal
Ive overpaid too its all about what you want
I think the best deals are from the guy that buys Brand new adds $1000's in upgrades, rides a couple of thousand miles and gets new bike fever
Before this guy gets frustrated and dismantles the bike and parts it out on EBay offer him High retail plus one third to one half of his upgrade costs.
You will get a new bike thats done up for the price of a new stocker
thats not a steal but a good deal for everyone in the Harley community.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts