Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for everyone taking the time to read this post and help me with my bike problem. I have a 2003 Sporty with about 4k miles on it. I have recently rebuilt the carb as well as changing the main jet to 170 since it had an aftermarket exhaust system from the previous owner. I replaced the idle mixture screw with an adjustable one and it currently is set 2 turns down after setting it all the way to the top.

I am having a hard time dialing it in just right without having the choke on. I took it fo a warm-up ride today, which was around 8 miles around the neighborhood. These upcoming videos were recorded after that ride. You can see that during the ride the choke was out and when I pushed it in, the bike cut off. I tried adjusting the throttle cable idle screw to keep the bike running and was able to cut the choke off. However, after that happens the bike would fire back after I cut it off and when I turned the choke on the bike would rev really high.

Should I adjust with the idle mixture screw or is there something else people would recommend.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I think you need to start again with your carburetor. Clean all the jets carefully, adjust float level, as per FACTORY SHOP MANUAL, Your description of pilot screw adjustment seems to say adjusted from top down, it should be about 2 turns open from the needle carefully seated,(all the way down). I think your main jet is too small, try a larger one. Make sure the needle jet is installed correctly, beveled side up. Make sure there are no manifold leaks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts