Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike will start and run when cold and then it will die while driving down the road. i dont know what to do? the lights and all the electrical stuff stay on but it just wont stay running. when i try to start it again it wont start it just cranks and cranks but doesnt come to life. anyone with some helpful words would be very appreciated.

·
Banned
366 Posts
ok dude im a heavy duty mech man but i work mainly on big diesel machines. from exp the cheapest thing to do is rip off your fuel lines (very cheapazz pieces you cut yourelf to length) if you gotta VOES vaccum line same type cheapazz lines replace them too & you should be cool. i always takeoff my battery links then clean them & them battery posts off at the same time cuz a bad battery connection is the easiest fix that ripoff shops use as cover to charge u for work they never did.
if that didnt work b4 i did anything else id run a multimeter test on the voltage regulator cuz if thats fawkd nutn worx man .
if that doesnt help than you might be lookin at the stator coil which means takeoff your primary cover then remove the clutch hub n chain to get to the stator coil.
in any event i am a big machine mech so i hope a harley mech chimes in 4 u man but this is what id do but like any mechanic its easer to diagnose if i had the machine in front of me man.

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
If the engine restarts when it cools down ... typical cam sensor / ignition pickup failure.

·
Banned
366 Posts
listenb to schimid for a touch, hes no fool bro. i understand your pain

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I don't think 2003 has the failure prone crank angle sensor, but it does have a different ignition sensor, that could be bad.

You need to do basic troubleshooting to determine what's failing. Fuel, ignition, bad wiring connection, etc. If you are mechanically inclined, get the shop manual and go to work. If you are not mechanically inclined, it's dealer, or trusted shop time.

·
Retired citizen
22,094 Posts
I think 2004 was the Sportster ignition change year. I could be wrong though, no manual in front of me now. I'll double check when I get to my shop this morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts