Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having a issue with shifting into neutral. from a stand still,engine running,takes effort to lift shifter into neutral.lots of resistance.when it releases,it bypasses neutral both upshifting and down. would also like opinion on whether it matters keeping clutch in or shifting to neutral when waiting at street lights for long periods of time.would appreciate input. thanks

·
Banned
71 Posts
having a issue with shifting into neutral. from a stand still,engine running,takes effort to lift shifter into neutral.lots of resistance.when it releases,it bypasses neutral both upshifting and down. would also like opinion on whether it matters keeping clutch in or shifting to neutral when waiting at street lights for long periods of time.would appreciate input. thanks
Adjust your clutch per the Service Manual.

Change the Primary fluid to ATF Dexron ( little to no clutch drag then ).

If sitting a long time, and you want to relax your hand, shift to neutral . :grin

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The clutch adjustment is probably what you need. Also make sure the primary isn't overfull. Too much oil causes drag on the clutch. The clutch adjustment needs to be "by the book", you do have a service manual don't you? There are two different steps of adjusting.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I know it seems to be the thing, shifting into neutral at lights now.
But I was always told that is a No-no.

As we all can agree.
When at a stop. Have an escape route planned.
Keep one eye in your rear view mirror.
Should the need arise that the use of the planed exit route is necessary you will likely have only seconds, or less to react.
Setting in neutral just does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
But that is maybe just me. :dunno

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I rarely go to neutral at a stop light. No way out if in neutral.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I agree with staying in gear and ready to escape if need be. The only time I slip it into neutral (and rarely at that) is after there are a couple or more cars stopped behind me, as sort of a buffer, if you will. And then only at intersections that I know have long light change intervals.

Excellent advice given already for optimizing the clutch/neutral function. Other than that, it may help to roll the bike slightly as you toe the shifter toward neutral.

--

1 - 8 of 8 Posts