Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Sportster 883C with 1200 kit. I’m running a 45 slow jet, and a 170 main, it has the dyno jet kit, Vance and Hines long shot pipes, and a Wimmer mini-max air filter set-up. The bike ran fine prior to me riding it in a down pour for two hours. Ever since then I’ve been having the following problems.

Bike starts up fine always, when the motor gets warm enough, SOMETIME (its finicky) off idle the motor hesitates as if it were not getting enough gas (or maybe too much gas, or too much air...who knows...), then bogs down, spits and coughs, and sometimes stalls. The check engine light comes on at this point. I twist the throttle wide open (back and forth) and the bike will not accelerate at all. It seems if I catch it just right, it then takes off. At all ranges past the point of off idle ( >1400 rpm range), the bike has no problems.

Could this me a timing issue from the ICM, or some other type of sensor giving faulty readings? I don’t think it’s the jets, I cleaned them out and tried different sizes and I replaced the plugs, the gas is new, but could water be in the carb somewhere or would it naturally be flushed out. Searching for a cure.......Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Great, thanks for the advice. I will start with a fresh tank of gas, and put some dry-gas into the tank as well.....if that doesn't work I'll trying searching for the code(s).....will update results.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
me too!!!!!! i thought it was my carb so i bought a new S&S shorty does the same thing. ride it for ten min once its warmed up goes to hell

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
me too!!!!!! i thought it was my carb so i bought a new S&S shorty does the same thing. ride it for ten min once its warmed up goes to hell
Do you realize your replying to a 4 year old post?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Do you realize your replying to a 4 year old post?
Don't exagerate, Phil..... It's only 3 years and 4 months old. :laugh

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
My guess ... cam sensor (ignition pickup).

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Crank position sensor. All the early ones fail, exactly as you are experiencing. It's about $50.00 and an easy plug in, one bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts