Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not very good when it comes to electrical on my bike. My fuel gauge lights up but don't work. Shows empty. It has 3 wires running from the gauge. Black, yellow, orange. I can ground the yellow and the gauge works. Very confused. Do I have a ground problem somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is not fuel injected.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Does it read correctly when you ground that wire, or does it just go to full? If it reads correctly, I'd trace that wire down to the grounding point and see if you can find a loose end. I'm sure someone with more onsite will chime in here in a bit.

Good luck with it though.

2007 ElectraGlide
65,000 miles and counting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does read correctly from what I can tell. Don't know the voltage of the wire but image gauge goes up to about how much gas is inside. Is the yellow a hot wire? Black ground.?

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Black is ground, orange is power to the light and the yellow is the signal wire from the float.
Careful grounding wires or you can pop a fuse or melt a wire.
Did you check the fuses yet ?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Not very good when it comes to electrical on my bike. My fuel gauge lights up but don't work. Shows empty. It has 3 wires running from the gauge. Black, yellow, orange. I can ground the yellow and the gauge works. Very confused. Do I have a ground problem somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is not fuel injected.
If the gauge moves when you ground the yellow wire, the float is either stuck/sunk , or the sending unit is bad . You can use a wire hook to pick up on the float to see if its stuck . If its not, then sending unit is bad .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Webco2. I checked and the float is not stuck. When you say sending unit is that the fuel gauge itself or the float and unit in the tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts