Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to put 12 inch KST Mayham bars on my 2005 Electric glide i’m interested to know if I need to extend all of my cables brake hoses and wiring Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Senior Flatulant
955 Posts
Most posts say that it isn't until 2014 or later, that you can install taller bars without extending wires, cables, and lines.

If you don't have one already, get a 'genuine Harley' service manual from the dealer, e-bay or craigslist. (Non-Harley' manuals' typically will NOT have what you need.)

Cheers,
Smoketown

PS
Welcome from PA!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,659 Posts
12" really isn't that much. You probably will be ok. See if you have any extra wiring under your tank. Then you should be able to tell if the cables and brake hose will be long enough by seeing how much slack you have now and adding the additional height.

·
Senior Flatulant
955 Posts
You won't know if you don't try but ...

03 Softail - 12-inch Flanders (Narrow) Apes - Throttle cables, clutch cable, and front brake line were too short. Extended the electrics but, I shortened the front turn signal wires because I moved them off of the bars down on to the lower triple-tree. (I also ran all of my electrical wires inside the bars - It looks cleaner that way.)

13 Ultra - 12-inch Mini Apes (HD PN-57474-11) - Hydraulic lines are too short. (No cables ... Extended all of the electrics.)

If, you CAN re-route your wires and cables, make double damn sure that there is enough slack when you turn the bars to full lock both ways. (Don't ask!!)

Cheers,
Smoketown

PS - OK, I'll tell.

With the usual onlookers present, I had just installed some taller Z-bars and 4-inch dog-bones on my Knuckle ... I fired her up and turned to the right out of the driveway and attempted a U-turn in the middle of our street .. I did it all of the time ... No problem ... Or, so I thought.

Well, when I snapped the handlebars HARD to the left, the throttle cable got pulled TIGHT and it immediately opened the carb to FULL THROTTLE and I went hauling ass right through the neighbors' hedge and 'burned rubber' across his prize lawn while my 'cheering committee' laughed hysterically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts