Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any experience on the bike mentioned above overheating? Sat in grid lock traffic creeping along for over an hour this morning and noticed some very light smoke/steam coming from the front lower end of the bike.I would have pulled over but I had to get to jury duty. I took to the shoulder and drove about 30 mph to get where I needed to go. Any ideas on what was happening? Didn't hear any pinging. Drove fine. I run full synthetic .

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Summer gridlock is brutal on an air cooled engine. The old VWs had forced air cooling. If a Harley is not moving, there is no air flow. Could be compared to a liquid cooled engine if the water pump stopped working.

I'm thinking you probably don't have a malfunction, but you might want to consider an oil change, even though it is synthetic.

--

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Oil residue under front mount, from oil changes heated by front pipe.

There is no "steam" unless there's water.

If idle didn't drop to 900-950, it's not "overheated". ECU has built in defense on 2002-2006 Delphi Pre-mapped, non-O2 sensor models. (EFI only)

YOU were warmer than bike. No air.....no heat loss. Bike too. :D

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Air cooled engines shake, rattle & cough when they don't get airflow.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard of an aux fan that is a combo horn/fan made for just this situation. When sitting/idling in traffic. It blows air across the inner jugs to help with cooling. I don't have any personal experience with it, but hear it works pretty good.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I've heard of an aux fan that is a combo horn/fan made for just this situation. When sitting/idling in traffic. It blows air across the inner jugs to help with cooling. I don't have any personal experience with it, but hear it works pretty good.
Except that your right leg gets fried !!!!! And the "horn" on them sucks too, sounds like a "Honda"....

Fan cooled oil cooler works so much better.!!!! :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Except HD's model has been found NOT to work all that great. Local City police have changed to different ones. HD's benefit is plug-N-play.

JIMS works better.

Harley-Davidson Engine Cooling Fans | J&P Cycles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses guys. It didnt run rough or anything so I figured it was fine. Nice to know there is a failsafe for guys like me that live in Texas.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have a 2012 RK. I installed Wards cooling fans on my bike. They attach to the horn bracket. And from my little experience they work great. They have a small thermostat that you slide in between the fins. It has a on off switch as well so you can turn them off while highway riding. I have Thundermax tuner. And I connect Tmax to my bike and start it and let it idle. I watch my PC screen as the temp rises. When it reaches 220 or so I flipped the switch for the fans and watch the temp drop with the fans running. Again it has a thermostat to come automatically too. They work real good.
Now yes my right leg will feel some heat from the fans blowing but it is minor. Especially considering peace of mind keeping my girl nice and cool.

I use to have his exact web address but you can google Wards cooling fans.

I have no connection with Wards at all. Just a very satisfied customer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
I have a 2012 RK. I installed Wards cooling fans on my bike. They attach to the horn bracket. And from my little experience they work great. They have a small thermostat that you slide in between the fins. It has a on off switch as well so you can turn them off while highway riding. I have Thundermax tuner. And I connect Tmax to my bike and start it and let it idle. I watch my PC screen as the temp rises. When it reaches 220 or so I flipped the switch for the fans and watch the temp drop with the fans running. Again it has a thermostat to come automatically too. They work real good.
Now yes my right leg will feel some heat from the fans blowing but it is minor. Especially considering peace of mind keeping my girl nice and cool.

I use to have his exact web address but you can google Wards cooling fans.

I have no connection with Wards at all. Just a very satisfied customer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This ^... and they look cool as heck!

Here is a photo of my previous bike with the fans and no horn:

Current bike with the horn in place:

They work like a charm. :thumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts