Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I just change the front wheel in my 2005 Road King Custom, but I noticed something, the front axle ha a Diameters for .980~.985" and the bearings have a Internal diameter of 0.995", my question came here, it is normal that difference in the dimensions, how tight should be the fit between these two parts? Neither the Axle or the bearings have any damage.

I was looking for the Axle specifications, but everywhere only says its 1" Diameter.

My doubt came because I noticed that in the OEM wheel doesn't look any loose space between the parts and also the OEM wheel have .983 internal diameter.

It is normal this difference?

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
You're talking about a difference of 0.010-0.015". That is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. There has to be enough room to actually slide the axle through the bearing and that is basically just enough to do so. When you tighten the axle nut the bearings get locked in place between the fork legs, with spacers, and the other side of the bearings in the wheel. Really the axle is there to get it all lined up straight and not that much 'pressure' is on it. I don't know if that makes sense since it is Monday and that is not my best 'explaining' day for me haha. Maybe someone else will come along and add to that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts