Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the tank off in order to install new throttle cables. Got everything installed started the bike no issues. Next day tried to start it fresh battery now I'm not getting fuel. Do I need a new fuel pump or is there something simpler that I might be over looking? I hooked everything up the same way I took it off. Very confused.

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
Change the fuel filter?

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
Yes,but a filter would be cheaper. Check the lines inside of the tank,pin holes have been known to happen. Also check disconnect at tank.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have 33k miles. Would I be better off to just replace the whole fuel pump including the filter. The kit I've found includes all that stuff.
Don't waste your money. Wait until you find out what the problem is. Probably something was not hooked up properly. I would reseat the gas line connection to the tank then reseat the electrical connections. Look for broken or loose wires.
Get yourself a Fuel line pressure tester. It will tell you a lot about how the parts within the tank are performing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much appreciated! Thank you. I'll check them out today.
Don't waste your money. Wait until you find out what the problem is. Probably something was not hooked up properly. I would reseat the gas line connection to the tank then reseat the electrical connections. Look for broken or loose wires.
Get yourself a Fuel line pressure tester. It will tell you a lot about how the parts within the tank are performing.
Ok I will check that out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
Ordered a fuel pump kit for 129.00 off amazon with same day shipping. Replaced all the gizmos and she's running better than ever. I have a feeling it was just the fuel filter bases on how dirty it was but now all that crap is new. Cheers y'all. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update:
Ordered a fuel pump kit for 129.00 off amazon with same day shipping. Replaced all the gizmos and she's running better than ever. I have a feeling it was just the fuel filter bases on how dirty it was but now all that crap is new. Cheers y'all. Thanks for the help.
Thanks for your post. I just bought a '07 RKC and I'm experiencing something similar. Fuel pump won't go when I hit the "RUN" switch. Ordered the fuel pump assembly and relay. The relay wasn't the problem. Waiting on the fuel pump assembly (which includes a new fuel filter). Hoping that'll get me back on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your post. I just bought a '07 RKC and I'm experiencing something similar. Fuel pump won't go when I hit the "RUN" switch. Ordered the fuel pump assembly and relay. The relay wasn't the problem. Waiting on the fuel pump assembly (which includes a new fuel filter). Hoping that'll get me back on the road.
If that's not the problem. I'd pull your switch apart and check for corrosion. I've had that problem before on my sportster in florida. Also my problem was not actually the fuel pump. The next day I went to start it and she wouldn't go. I pulled the dynojet 3 tuner and hooked up the stock wiring an she started right up. I think my problem this whole time was a crap tuner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If that's not the problem. I'd pull your switch apart and check for corrosion. I've had that problem before on my sportster in florida. Also my problem was not actually the fuel pump. The next day I went to start it and she wouldn't go. I pulled the dynojet 3 tuner and hooked up the stock wiring an she started right up. I think my problem this whole time was a crap tuner.
Thanks.
We swapped the fuel pump assembly and no joy.
When I flip the kill switch, I do get clicking sound near fuse/relay area. Motor will crank. No fuel pump prime for 3sec.
Ordered a new relay and waiting on that. My buddy tested the relay with a multi-meter and said it was good. But will try physically swapping out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts