Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2005 saxon firestorm. I know it's not a Harley but it's got an s and s engine and I think is modeled after it. I cant get the bike to start. It turns over just doesnt fire. I have replaced the ignition coil, plugs and wires. Is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a saxon? Cant find it anywhere. Or does anyone have basic information for motorcycle electronics to try and help. It's a carbarated 96ci s and s motor. Please help.

·
Retired citizen
23,096 Posts
Does it have the S&S ignition, IST ?
Is the carb getting fuel ? Does the engine start if you squirt fuel into the carb throat ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it in 2005. It has been running nice since then. Change oil every season. Change transmission every other season. I bought a battery 2 years ago. I thought it was AGM but they gave me a gel instead. My fault for not double checking. So I have been using a battery tender on it and it cooked the gel battery. I didnt know so I jumped the bike with a portable jumper. It ran for about 15 minutes. As soon as I drove it a mile it totally lost power. I pulled the battery and bought an x-rated AGM battery and made sure it had full charge. Now it will not start. I thought it was ignition coil or plugs but now I'm thinking it blew a fuse or relay but I dont see any.
I looked for a wiring diagram on google. No luck, just hoping someone private has one. Again any help would be appreciated.

·
Retired citizen
23,096 Posts
Look for the Harley Softail harness diagrams, same thing.
If OP jumped the dead battery with a portable powered starter it may have fried the regulator in the process. After that the bike is running off the battery until the battery gets down to about 9.6 volts at which point the ignition ICM stops triggering the coil to fire the plugs.
Look for breakers and fuses behind the rear fender in front of the tire.
Also does the S&S have the IST ignition ? This is an important question with implications.

·
Retired citizen
23,096 Posts
One more thing, if that battery charger burned out a gel battery then I think it's time to get a different charger. Maybe a battery maintainer rather than a charger, they cut off when the battery reaches full charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I think the ignition control module is not providing spark. I tested but not getting a reading on multimeter to the coil when I try and start. Is there some other way to test module? Is there another type of ICM for replacement? The only one that I see fits is a big dog for 700.00. I hope a cheaper one is compatible. I dont mind rewiring. It does not have IST. I was using battery tender jr for trickle charge but like I said gel battery didnt like it.

·
Retired citizen
23,096 Posts
If no IST then just about any aftermarket electronic ignition will work.
Is there an external ICM ? Does the engine have a crank position sensor bolted to the front left engine case. Is there an ignition pickup behind the points cover ?

The battery tender junior is compatible with all batteries, yours might be faulty if it fried a gel battery. Gel and AGM are both lead acid batteries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
So I spoke to S&S about the engine and they asked if I checked the crank sensor. This bike doesnt have one. But it does have an ignition sensor!! When I pulled the cup on the right side of the engine off I got hit with a burn smell. Sure enough the sensor was melted. I got a new ignition sensor kit, installed it in the exact same position and she fired up. Thanks for all your help. It helped me save at least 700 bucks, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts