Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new to Harley. Had (and still have) Hondas for 30+ years. When I got the bike last fall with about 9000 miles, I immediately changed engine oil (Mobil 1 20W50), and primary oil (Harley Formula +).
The shifting seemed a little rough, that is, a little bit of grind between gears. Checked primary chain. It was a little tight, so I adjusted. Also properly adjusted clutch play. Shifting somewhat better, but still not smooth...unless I shift slowly. Then no grind at all.
Is there something else I should check? Re-adjust primary chain? Use different primary oil? Continue to shift slower?
Bike stored for winter now, so lots of time to consider options.
Thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mr peddler, I have an 06 sportster and it doesn't like to be shifted fast. You will probably never get it to shift like a Honda, just shift slower and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
No matter what you do, the Harley will never shift as smoothly as the Honda. Transmission gears are much larger, they have a lot more inertia when shifting. With all adjusted correctly, you'll still get a clunk when shifting. Just the way of the beast.

·
Retired citizen
24,354 Posts
There's one thing you can check that causes Sportster shifting problems.
The shift shaft, the part the shift lever is bolted to, should have some in/out end play. If not the inner shaft bushing has walked out of the inner case.
The remedy is to hit the end of the shaft with a dead blow hammer until there is end play. That will re-seat the bushing in the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts