Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Superglide custom, it has the narrow front end. I am looking triple trees and switching it to a wide glide front. I know I'll need wheel spacers and fender, I found triple trees but will have to modify slightly to mount headlight etc. or may be able to find other trees or accessories that will mount easily.

Ever done this? any ideas?
thanks

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
JPCycyle, and others sell kits to do this. It includes the triple trees, spacers, front brake rotor spacer & hardware and fender mounting spacers & hardware. I did it to my 1995 Dyna.

My kit was about $550, but others are more depending on materials like billet aluminum. Mine's chromed steel. You'll also need a new lower bearing and dust seal for your steering neck. Not worth trying to get the old one off and not damaging it.

Keep in mind too, you have to order a kit for am internal steering lock and not external.

I added a 21" front wideglide wheel/tire, and a factory matching wideglide front fender to eliminate the fender mounting spacers. Most people think the bike is a Wideglide, unless they notice the 39mm front forks, rather then the 41mm ones.

I also changed my headlight to the Bates, from the brow-type, and remounted the guages off the bars.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
didn't our forum mate previously known as Ratbasturd and later as Ryda document his swapping his quest to swap out the his front end ?

I ran a search for posts by Ratbasturd and all of the first page of returns were about swapping front end parts. May not be the same exact task, but similar experiences maybe?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I did the wide glide kit with 21" wheels many years back to my 1984 FXR and the bike looked great but I did find that I lost a lot of the better handling characteristics of the narrow glide with 19" wheels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone. I was going to stay with the 19 inch tire,

Hawkman, I had not thought of that. I wonder how much impact on handling there would be? Would a lower fork brace help?
I found 3 of the kits in JP Cycle, 500-800 bucks. I will be shopping around.
thanks again
Carl

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Good luck finding a lower fork brace to fit a modded front fork. The width isn't exactly the same as a wide glide, and the diamer of the forks isn't either....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what? I went for a ride tonight, (a yeehaw empty road) I aint changing anything. The bike is a dream to ride, corners well. I dont need the wide glide look that bad.
put on some miles.!!
Carl

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just changed from a super glide to a wide glide front end and kept my stock front wheel. it fit great with the spacers from a single to a dual caliper front end. I just need to get the alignment correct for the handling ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts