1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,011 Posts
Go out there and kick some butt...make us proud!!!

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NED Top Bike Race-1 (5/18/2013)

First day racing done, very happy to see I can still make the sub 10 second runs right off the trailer after seven months!

Though I was kinda all over the place with reaction times (Pro-400 tree.) and ET's and one run with excessively late 4->5 shift.

q1 rt=0.113, sixty=1.488, [email protected]
q2 rt=0.032, sixty=1.477, [email protected]
q3 rt=0.160, sixty=1.472, [email protected]
E1 rt=0.083, sixty=1.473, [email protected]
E2 rt=0.102, sixty=1.473, [email protected] Quarter final eliminated

Time to drop some weight, I & bike are reading 800 on the scale, should be around 720 which means I need to get serious and drop 80# 250--->170

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NED Top Bike Race-2 (5/19/2013)

Got the track, getting everything ready.
Fired up the bike, warmed and ready for a ride to get Tech'd in.

Clutch in, engage 1st gear.
On riding out of the pit's nasty metallic sound coming from the engine as it stalled, tried to fire, NO GO.

Load her up, got refund on my $80 entry fee, return trip home early.

As a good racing buddy at New England say's, "Your Gathering Data" not having a bad day, every experience has something to learn from it, gather the data, correct the problem and use the information to prevent recurrences.

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Work shop day 5/20/2013

Hung left rear Intake Valve:

Engine separation completed Monday Evening:

Broken Valve Spring

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
05/21/2013 Parts ordered

Supplies to rebuild heads to prime racing condition placed today:

Valve Guides, Destroyer Intake & Exhaust Valves, keepers, PAC Springs, gaskets and misc supplies.

The Head got no damage, the piston had a tiny touch that will clean up easy.

If everything comes in quickly, I could be back on the track by mid June.

·
Registered
36,971 Posts
Glad you caught that before it got expensive! :thumb

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ready to race, anyone in New England for BIKE WEEK come on down to New England Dragway!!

If any of you folks are interested in watching ($10) or participating ($40) in drag racing?

New England Dragway will be open to test & tune racers, (that means you too could race)!

I will be there early Saturday morning to prepare for the TOP BIKE race event, I'm the ONLY HD VROD DESTROYER in the class, we will also have street fighters running, these are mostly import bikes and one Buell.

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not Good....:bigbarf

2013 TMH Race Season - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
Race day 6/15/2013 At New England Dragway
Top Bike event number 4, (I missed #2 & #3) while working the heads over. Bill came up with me for the first time in several years, I think this is the first time he's watched my live and in person on the Destroyer, he's mentored me from inception on the old 2004 VRSCA 1320 Big Bore and helped me along the way in racing and engine building. I was happy and glad to have him along, he's been the racers brother if you know what I mean! Which is not to leave out all my fellow racers around the country & world, you're all special in my heart but Bill is a step ahead because he is local, and we share a lot of general motorcycling interest as well!

Q1 sixty= 1.459, et=10.029 @ 129.19 mph
Q2 sixty= 1.462, et=10.087 @ 129.90 mph

I lowered the MAX RPM to 10,100 and lowered my shift points as well, so the numbers I am turning were down, though consistent.

Set up for E1 chose a dial of 9.97, hoping improving air & track would help, I often run faster after a couple of passess to shake out my own operator issues being still green for the 2013 season.

Got up to the water box, started the burnout, heard a knocking then a bang, lost power on one cylinder, pulled the plug and rolled her back to staging, no case breaches, no leaks, just got -NO- power in one cylinder!!! What was the BANG?????

Rolled her back to the pits, gentle hand turn of the crank, she was rolling over OK, the intake valves were operating correctly!?

Loaded her up for the long ride home to figure this thing out again.

Additional details coming in the Engine build Thread, as I write this race report, I already got some answers, I'll tell more about over there, the preliminaries are not worth a mention until I have her completely apart.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158538
As reported in the Racing thread for 2013, we were off to a moderately good start as I resumed the race program, but $hit happens if you know what I mean!!!!

Back at the shop, unloaded the bike & gear, Marie took me out to a post race day dinner, just the two of us, broke the bad news to her, exactly what the problem is I don't know yet but it's not sounding good, I intent to tear everything down for a FULL REFRESH, I should have done this at the onset of the head work project but felt confident we had the no issues in the bottom end to worry about. Lesson learned, it's probably worth checking after an incident (guides & springs) especially since I hadn't done a winter refresh with the limited (In my opinion) number of runs in 2012, hindsight says it was a bad choice, live and learn.

So we got back from dinner, and I'm anxious to tear into see what is up. the rest of my buddies are enjoying the beautiful weather and wrap up to Laconia Bike Week with a day trip the Weir's on Sunday, I am too bummed to be any good company so, passing on the trip.

I Spent the rest of the evening, preparing for engine pull number three, first order of business was OIL DROP, the oil is brand new and already has a sheen of golden silk hue to it, this is very fine particulate from the bearings, under normal wear and tear (street riding you might see it in your oil at the change intervals, and maybe a fleck or two of steel particulate from the rings and tranny gears.

There was a number of flecks of bearing materials, I suspect to find more above the pan gasket!, I dumped the majority of the oil to the waste bucket now with 10 quarts of new junk oil.

Pulled the intake, exhaust, drained the radiator, reserve bottle and block.

Got a closer look at the valve action as I hand turned the motor, the intakes are moving just fine, as I see them opening I can see the exhaust nearing the complete closing cycle, all ok on the rear head, but the front right exhaust valve is not pulling all the way to the seat? Could it be a weak spring, (unlikely) could it have seized up in the guide? possibly though we reamed and honed the guides to spec's.

It's possible a ROD bearing went out on me and there was enough lash to allow the piston to contact the valves, possibly the LEFT Exhaust escaped damages because it was moving more freely in it's guide?

This is one of those which is the root cause questions, (Chicken & Egg) if you know what I mean.

As of now, I am writing these reports, and psyching myself up to get the engine out of the frame, on the engine stand and commence with the FULL TEAR DOWN!

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine is out and on the build stand.

Kicked a valve shim, keepers unloaded and exhaust valve got bent.
Building a shopping list of higher performance replacement parts.
:spar

Attachments

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this is a close out posting to the 2013 race season.

I've been severely unmotivated in getting the engine put back together for a variety of reasons. Latest of which is the work shutdown and impending additional shutdowns coming in January, February, and the rest of 2014. Keeping politics to a minimum in this thread, suffice it to say we are facing a 17 to 20 percent reduction in funding the rest of fiscal year 2014 (now through 9/30/2014), that means a lot more sequestration days with NO PAY. My 2014 race plans will be all local, one class Pro-ET (TOP-BIKE) at New England.

Everything is ready to go regarding putting the engine back together!!

I just need to focus, that's the hard part, a lot of uncertainty swirling around at work. I am working in a 120 day temporary assignment, shadowing a program analysts with one of our Trust Fund Recovery Assessment System application development team, the team works as a complete unit in Austin Texas at the service center. I still sit in Providence, working with them as a virtual team member. The goal of this assignment is to learn as much as possible from the current analyst before he retires in the Spring 0f 2014, if I find the job adaptable, then I have a GOOD chance of jumping into his shoes with a pay grade promotion to boot!! Chances of moving to Texas SLIM & NONE, Marie is not interested in moving away from New England. I'm able to work in a virtual fashion with the team, I've been doing that M/O for about seven years now anyway.

I figure I'll get my MOJO going around March as the winter doldrums climax and I get anxious to get in position for a GOOD 2014 season. By then we will know where we stand work wise.

Anyhow, thanks to all who read my racing threads for the support and interest in my racing program, heres to closing out 2013 and looking forward to 2014!!.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Raced most of my adult life, currently just a hired gun driving the 68 in my sig...owner pays for everything, I wrench, tune, drive on race day to help fund the program.

I know how the burn out feeling is, I ran my construction business along with literally being at a race track every weekend from April to Oct...EVERY weekend, every season. It takes a toll and was why I eventually sold everything and took a break, kids were getting older, wife was getting tired of wasting every weekend at a track somewhere, so was I.

Sure ya already know there will be good yrs and bad yrs, sounds like this is a bad time...it'll get better. The thing with racing, never take out a loan or pay by CC (that you cant pay off when statement comes)..I've watched so many friends/competitors ruin their personal lives/finances spending more than they can afford on a HOBBY and a few I still keep in contact with today that no longer race are still paying for the racing they did 10yrs ago...that's a bad spot to be it.

Good luck in 2014!! I know we're all ready to hit the ground running when the track opens next spring.

·
Noel
7,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...Sure ya already know there will be good yrs and bad yrs, sounds like this is a bad time...it'll get better. The thing with racing, never take out a loan or pay by CC (that you cant pay off when statement comes)..I've watched so many friends/competitors ruin their personal lives/finances spending more than they can afford on a HOBBY and a few I still keep in contact with today that no longer race are still paying for the racing they did 10yrs ago...that's a bad spot to be it.

Good luck in 2014!! I know we're all ready to hit the ground running when the track opens next spring.
I hear you on the fiscal discipline issues, I run on cash and credit no greater than 30 days with intent to pay in full, then I have a budget to live by. So long as things go as planned, then we're good.

Good luck in 2014 to you also!! :biking:

·
Registered
57 Posts
All those yrs I had my business and things were going good funding my program wasn't even a real thought...but I also knew I never intended to stay in business as an end game...by 30 my body was so broke down from doing construction since I was a kid in my gramps construction biz...and seeing how the old boys looked down the road, it was a hit it hard and enkoy things while I could and fi d a "real job" I could retire from. Funny part is now my gross income working as a cnc machinist in a union shop is what my annual racing budget used to be the last 10yrs I was really going after it chasing points and series lol.

Truth be told, I'm a pick something and do it so much and so hard I burn myself out and must move onto something else..my family and friends all commented how weirx it was to see me do something for so long...but my final three yrs I only did it because the car and support was there...mentally I hated it. Sold everythi g took 3yrs off, raced a few friends cars now and again but still didn't want to be there. Last yr this guy contacted me to drive his....took all summer to sort it out to make it a bracket contender, and I had fun wrenching/trouble shooting to get things right...but on race day the demons of rather be doing something else were strong in me.

Last race of 2013 I finally got everything sorted out and the car was zeroxing slips making my job easy, went 6 rounds before stepping on my dyck on the tree..but now I'm pumped for next season since I know ill be in the hunt providing nothing catastrophic happens...but driveline is all completely new and not even being taxed so hard to imagine anything bad happeneing at this point.

Regardless..you two wheel racers ain't right lol. Seen so many wrecks over the yrs I'd never even think about it...it scares me lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts