Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.. I am new here and also new owner of 2006 Electra glide Ultra Classic. I have very unusual speedometer problem.
Speed is going to full speed(120ml/h) already when i go slow.. and also odo is because of this going fast up.
I did not run yet diagnostic procedure, but i changed the speedo sensor with the new one. I also tried to change with new original speedometer, but
the result is just the same.

Any ideas? Please help me if you already had problem like this.

• i chacked the grounds behind the battery and are ok
  • voltage regulator is working ok
-check engine light is comming and going on!

Thanks.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Hello to all.. I am new here and also new owner of 2006 Electra glide Ultra Classic. I have very unusual speedometer problem.
Speed is going to full speed(120ml/h) already when i go slow.. and also odo is because of this going fast up.
I did not run yet diagnostic procedure, but i changed the speedo sensor with the new one. I also tried to change with new original speedometer, but
the result is just the same.

Any ideas? Please help me if you already had problem like this.

• i chacked the grounds behind the battery and are ok
  • voltage regulator is working ok
-check engine light is comming and going on!

Thanks.
That means there's a stored historic code.
The procedure for checking codes is in the electrical section stickys. Look for the 'DTC' sticky and follow instructions for code retrieval.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That means there's a stored historic code.
The procedure for checking codes is in the electrical section stickys. Look for the 'DTC' sticky and follow instructions for code retrieval.
i checked the codes and they are like this:

- P No Rsp( no response)

- B1121 left turn out fault
-U1255 missing response at tssm/missing response at speedometer( have to check if all conections are ok)
-U1097 loss of speedometer serial data at tssm

i will check first this..thanks :) if you have any idea for which reason this codes apear i would be very happy.

Speed sensor is working..is new..

thanks.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
That sounds like the ecm connector under the seat (on top of the battery) is loose or loosing connection. I ran into this same symptom on a '09 Ultra. Sitting on the seat causes pressure on the ECM connector.
Does your bike go into 'limp mode' at all ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like the ecm connector under the seat (on top of the battery) is loose or loosing connection. I ran into this same symptom on a '09 Ultra. Sitting on the seat causes pressure on the ECM connector.
Does your bike go into 'limp mode' at all ?
What is limp mode? everything is working ok..only i have speedo that is going crazy..like driving slow and goes to 120mi/h.

thanks.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Driving slow could be 'limp mode' !
Look in the electrical section for solutions. Check the stickys.
OR give us some more info, like what's happening ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driving slow could be 'limp mode' !
Look in the electrical section for solutions. Check the stickys.
OR give us some more info, like what's happening ?
The only thing is that my speedo is always going to 120mi/h even if i drive 10-20mi/h.
Bike is not in save mode..i can drive normally.. everything else is working ok..even turn signals work ok..

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Possible wrong speed sensor. Different year Harleys have similar sensors but different depth into the trans case. I would double check the speed sensor part numbers to verify you have the correct one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Possible wrong speed sensor. Different year Harleys have similar sensors but different depth into the trans case. I would double check the speed sensor part numbers to verify you have the correct one.
the old and new are acting the same way..
I bought for 2006 year..
I will check anyway.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
You can also try a system reset. It's easy, ignition off just remove the maxi-fuse for a minute then replace it. It has the same effect as rebooting a computer.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
I just noticed the OP is in Slovenia, I have relatives in Slovenia. Gasser is the surname.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok..update...i cleared all the codes and only one in P = P1651 cant be cleared. if i try to clear the code i got the massage No rSP.

engine light is 4s off and 8s On and repeats. Still my speedo is going to 120mi/h even if i drive slow...

Again..any ideas?

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
ok..update...i cleared all the codes and only one in P = P1651 cant be cleared. if i try to clear the code i got the massage No rSP.

engine light is 4s off and 8s On and repeats. Still my speedo is going to 120mi/h even if i drive slow...

Again..any ideas?
No rSP means no response. Code P1651 is 'check engine light open / low.
Remedies: Check for open on the BK/Y wire and check the accessories fuse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No rSP means no response. Code P1651 is 'check engine light open / low.
Remedies: Check for open on the BK/Y wire and check the accessories fuse.
Hello..fuses are all ok.. this means that i have to chek BK/Y wire from ECM to speedo or where?
Thanks.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
ALSO verify the battery is fully charged to 12.8 volts static (ignition off).

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
FYI, use a test light or multimeter to check each fuse contact with the ignition on. Each side of the fuses should show voltage. Eyeballing fuses ain't the way to check them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FYI, use a test light or multimeter to check each fuse contact with the ignition on. Each side of the fuses should show voltage. Eyeballing fuses ain't the way to check them.
ok thanks..i will check it..battery is ok.voltage regulator is new.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Check volts across the battery terminals with the engine idling, should be 13.5 - 14.5 volts.
Charging system problems will generate all kinds of weird codes that don't make sense. That new regulator doesn't mean the charging system is working, it's only one piece of the puzzle!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check volts across the battery terminals with the engine idling, should be 13.5 - 14.5 volts.
Charging system problems will generate all kinds of weird codes that don't make sense. That new regulator doesn't mean the charging system is working, it's only one piece of the puzzle!
Is charging ok. is 14,8V when idling.. at 3000rpm goes to 14,7V..but is charging strong. i just exchanged the VR, because i saw some burned contact on the old one. the old one will be now for reserve.

i still dont know where to check this yellow/blk wire. i tested from ECM to TSSM and is ok.so has to be from here to speedo, that is not ok. Now i will put the tank down andi will recheck all the wires under the tank to the front.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts