Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The tank is still in the process of stripping the paint off down to the bare metal. I found a previous dent repair at the emblem area on one side. I removed all the old bondo from that area. I ran out of paint stripper, waiting on more. It's a tedius process, and messy - blah.

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update: got an online quote of $550 - $650 to chrome the piece. They will know for sure when they have the piece in front of them and can evaluate it. It will be shipped tomorrow. Expected 6-8 week turnaround.

I had them chrome a dash on a Dyna before. They do top quality work.

I ain't going crazy with this bike. I can't afford to.

JC

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Today, I'm working on stripping the tank down to the metal:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Fender

Edit: and before anybody says anything…yes, I have taken every precaution to assure nothing unwanted gets in the tank.

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This morning I cleaned the underside & inner channel of the tank with grease and wax remover, I masked it at the weld line, that's as far as I'm going to strip the paint. I remove the fuel check valve from the fuel tank, it needs to be replaced – as it sometimes leaks fuel. I'm going to strip later today.

Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Cosmetics Bag

Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Today, I removed the rear wheel from the bike for the tire replacement. I also took off the homemade side mount/axle mount lighted license plate mount. I am going to redo it, so it is much nicer, both functionally and aesthetically.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Table Gas Auto part Rectangle Gadget

Lastly-removed the highway brackets/pegs. The bike is going without them.

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today: removed the tire, tube, and rubber rim strip from the wheel. Also removed the wrinkle black rocker covers and placed new chrome ones on there. They are not bolted on yet. I think I may sit the rest of the day out, my heart's just not into it.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Musical instrument Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's getting a new rim strip, tube, and night dragon tire. I have not purchased the rim strip and tube yet. I am just going to put some ride on sealer/balancer in the tire prior to riding it and call it balanced. Sometimes I don't even bother balancing. I line up the dot on the tire with the valve stem, that's all. I commend everyone who does it correctly, yet I've never had a problem in 43 years of riding.

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today, the paint was stripped from the license plate assembly for the license plate project. I also ordered the items that are needed to complete it.

Auto part Automotive exterior Metal Bumper Composite material

·
Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today, the rider foot peg brackets were removed and disassembled. I want to try to salvage the brackets as best that they can be – grungy!

Hand tool Tobacco pipe Metalworking hand tool Metal Nickel

1 - 20 of 74 Posts