Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Today I put a new OEM air filter in the Dyna and installed the air filter cover with a new Joker Machine Chrome Smooth Air Cleaner Cover Centerpiece. It fits me style 鈥 nice, and yet nothing too fancy.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This is what the rear fender strut assembly will look like once chromed. This one has a funky pointed rear fender on it 鈥 mine will not. The new rear signals attach to the hole(s) in the side of the chrome piece. The upper shock bolts attach to the two larger holes in the chrome piece. The seat attaches to the rocket shaped bolt on top of the rear fender. Mine will have a chrome thumbscrew bolt for the seat. Thanks for looking at my bike project!

Automotive lighting Fender Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

I'm also going to have them chrome the tank's dash.

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I put both of those driver footpeg brackets back on. On the left bracket, you can't even begin to see the road rash unless you climb under the bike. It beats buying an expensive new one! Works for me!

Like 1/2 Ton said: it has more character

The brackets were previously painted wrinkle black, but I stripped them back to chrome. They cleaned and polished up like new 鈥 well except for the road rash on one of them, lol. The rear brake lever was polished with the bench buffing wheel while it was off.

I'm putting OEM rubber foot pegs on the bike, yet with the chrome end caps on them. Nice looking, nothing fancy 鈥 perfect for me!

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Received these new OEM mirrors today. Also got the parts needed to redo the side mount license plate. I know what you're thinking, 鈥渆nough with the picture taking, get to the build鈥. Thing is, I have not been motivated due to a throbbing toothache. It zaps the fun out of life. I have an appointment at the medical university at 8 am Monday to take care of it.

Those other aftermarket oem-like mirrors were starting to look cheesy to me. Can't go wrong with OEM on a Harley, I say.

Just my opinion. Thanks for looking!

Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Bag Automotive exterior

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I plan to work on the new side mount license plate today. I hope to have the mockup done and a picture taken this evening. Maybe even a quick wiring job to light it up for the picture(s). I have two lighting options, I'll take a picture of each one 鈥 perhaps you can help me choose which one to go with when you see the pictures?

Registered
I plan to work on the new side mount license plate today. I hope to have the mockup done and a picture taken this evening. Maybe even a quick wiring job to light it up for the picture(s). I have two lighting options, I'll take a picture of each one 鈥 perhaps you can help me choose which one to go with when you see the pictures?
Nahh. No one on these forums has an opinion on anything... 馃槅

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I did it with just the license plate light, not the supplemental tail light around the perimeter of the license plate and the license plate light. This is a mock-up of the new axle mounted license plate. If you don't like it, tough shit, lol, JK.

Automotive lighting Sky Hood Headlamp Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender Gas

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm thinking of mounting the plate vertically. What do you think? Just curious. I'm ultimately going to do what I want regardless of your opinion - lol.

Retired citizen
I'm thinking of mounting the plate vertically. What do you think? Just curious. I'm ultimately going to do what I want regardless of your opinion - lol.
Check with your state DMV, different states have different rules on license plate mounting. Feds aren't involved with private vehicle licensing.

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Check with your state DMV, different states have different rules on license plate mounting. Feds aren't involved with private vehicle licensing.
South Carolina Motorcycle License Plate Requirements:

Rear
Visible
Legible
Free From Defacement
Horizontal
Upright
Securely Fastened
Prevent Swinging
Illuminated
At Least 12 inches

Fuk em, LoL!

I'll keep it horizontal.
The plate will be 14 inches from the ground to the center of the plate.

I'm good!

weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
Although I don't care for the look of side-mounted plates, I do think they look better mounted vertically than they do horizontally. When they're horizontal, they break up the lines a lot more. Plus if it's low, horizontal makes it easier to scrape it off.

Retired citizen
IMO state U.S. license plate laws have always sucked, Really sucks for the Europe bikers that had plates attached to their front fenders ! Now that really sucks !

Retired citizen
The best and most aesthetic U.S. license plate mounts IMO were the ones integrated into the passenger seat backrest. Sissy bars were the perfect place for the rear license plate brackets ! So what's next ? Read my next post idea for license plates placement, I just got a new idea !

Registered
2006 Dyna FXDB
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
My Harley-Davidson is not broken. It is not sick. It is just being patient! And, of course, missing some parts.
As it sits currently (9/12/2022):

Wood Automotive design Motor vehicle Flooring Machine

The logical next step it seems will be to clean up/polish the rear wheel, prior to installing the new tire on it. It's so much easier to do work on it with it off of the bike, and sitting on the workbench. I have chrome polish, aluminum polish, old socks, 0000 steel wool, naval jelly, WD40, a scrawl tool, stainless steel and brass bristle cleaning brushes. I have tire changing lube. The wheel will be getting a brand new 17'' x 2.4'' Drag Specialties Rim Strip, Pirelli Night Dragon 180/60 - 17 Tire, and a new Michelin tube. Then the wheel goes back on the bike. Thanks for looking at my bike project!

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Alloy wheel

21 - 40 of 74 Posts