Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just got married and as a wedding gift my dad gave me his 2006 883 Sportster that's been sitting untouched for 11 years. I'm doing a thorough cleanup of the engine, carb, etc. The throttle grip is oily and deteriorating and makes your hands sticky and black so replacing that as well. Also going to put. Marvel mystery oil into the cylinders and do a full cleanup of that just to make sure nothing is seized before I try turning it over. While looking up parts the obvious thing is every site asks what model you have. Using the 5th and 6th numbers of my Vin (CA) I have determined that the bike is an XLH not an XL. Looking for certain parts XLH is never an option. I've read in other discussions that in the older days the H stood for higher compression. What does the H mean in newer-ish bikes? When ordering parts do I just use the standard XL 883 version?

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,660 Posts
I'm pretty sure the H designates it as the 'Hugger' model. XL is the designation for all Sportsters. Most of the parts for the bikes are the same. The Hugger sits a bit lower so the suspension would be different for sure. When looking up Sportster models for that year I did not see a XLH. Are you sure about that? I only found XL, XLC, and XLL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the info from the website below. Trying to find information anywhere else has been challenging, that's why I started this discussion.

Screenshot taken from website above.

My HD. You can see the model version in the VIN if you zoom in. It says CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,660 Posts
Yep, CA is Hugger. If it is not an option when looking for parts then it probably doesn't matter. Meaning that it will fit all the 883s, probably.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the confirmation! Now I need to look into converting it to standard height as I am about 6ft tall whereas my step dad is only about 5'4" lol!

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,660 Posts
If you are going to raise the front end, sounds like it was lowered, check out progressive springs for it. My Sporty was slammed when I got it and could not corner for squat, so it had to go back stock height. $100 for the front springs and they made an awesome difference over the rough spots as well. I got the heavy duty ones. I think I ordered from eBay because of the price. Find a set of stock length rear shocks to get the rear back to the correct height.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Among the list of stuff you need to do, flush out the brake fluid and refresh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are going to raise the front end, sounds like it was lowered, check out progressive springs for it. My Sporty was slammed when I got it and could not corner for squat, so it had to go back stock height. $100 for the front springs and they made an awesome difference over the rough spots as well. I got the heavy duty ones. I think I ordered from eBay because of the price. Find a set of stock length rear shocks to get the rear back to the correct height.
Good advice! Thanks RJ. Before I start getting into that I want to see how she feels. The specs say the seat is one inch lower than the standard. One inch, really lol? If and when I do go down that route I'll definitely look into progressive.
Welcome to the family WillD.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Among the list of stuff you need to do, flush out the brake fluid and refresh.
I was actually draining every fluid in the bike BUT the brake fluid lol. It looks clean and, on a rolling stop, stops dead in its tracks without hardly using the brake. I will flush it out and replace it though. What's one more fluid to drain lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 07 xl-low. They are a lot of fun, you can throw them all over the road and you cant with most of the fat boy bikes. If its been sitting that long time works on all those big and small gaskets and O rings so be aware.Ill buy a 1200 sporty next bike-Ronnies microfiche was a great tip for you. I even bought OEM parts from Ronnies online cause their supa! Have fun on and under that sporty!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an 07 xl-low. They are a lot of fun, you can throw them all over the road and you cant with most of the fat boy bikes. If its been sitting that long time works on all those big and small gaskets and O rings so be aware.Ill buy a 1200 sporty next bike-Ronnies microfiche was a great tip for you. I even bought OEM parts from Ronnies online cause their supa! Have fun on and under that sporty!
Even for a 6' tall guy lol? I work in maintenance, building and repairing machines all day long, and didn't even think of the o'rings. Oh man lol this might as well be a full engine rebuild 😂 Though I can't complain when the HD was free!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Me too Hotels etc so your good with schematics and meters,your way ahead of the game. I have enjoyed most of the work ive done on the bike, if you dont have a stand get one at Harbor Freight, youll need it.TC Bros make great front end kits for most bikes so look at them. Youll learn new stuff,get a SHOP MANUAL dont waste time and $ with anyone else. Its worth every penny you spend! you cant do this shit at the side of the road-stay with DUNLOP tires, I dont wanna read about you in the paper.;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Even for a 6' tall guy lol? I work in maintenance, building and repairing machines all day long, and didn't even think of the o'rings. Oh man lol this might as well be a full engine rebuild 😂 Though I can't complain when the HD was free!
The bike should be fine for a guy who is 6'. Sit on the bike. What level are the hand controls? My preference on that bike is for the controls to be at or about chest level, so that your wrist is just slightly below your shoulder, not higher than your shoulder. With that bike, I favor T-bars or drag bars on risers. Not for the look. But for control of the bike. The bike came with mid controls. Keep them. Do not swap them for forward controls. With the mid control foot pegs, and chest level handlebars, you will be able to stand up on the bike. You can't stand up on a bike with forward controls.

Clean out the carburetor. Install new rebuild parts as needed. Or simply install a new carburetor. You probably have the original air filter. Clean it or replace it. A lot of high flow options out there. Or just install a new intake. It looks like your dad has drag pipes. Drag pipes make the bike loud. Loud does not make it sound good, or run good. The bike actually sounds better and runs better with an exhaust system. The carbureted 883 is actually pretty good with an intake, exhaust, and jetting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you can put ape hangers or just about any bars you want, just get the right risers-I have 5" risers and 1" drag bars, you have to get ABOVE the tank! As far as your pipes go-they make "lollipop" baffles for drag pipes or you can make your own-I run them on my sporty, with a high flow AC plus FP3. You may find youll have to spend some $ to get it the way you want. The thing about skinny bikes like yours and the 1200 irons is you can do more substantive mods - for me ,less is more-it all depends on what you like.Take out a second mortgage on the house.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Brought a 03 Sporty back to life after being in storage for more than 10 years. The only deterroration issues we had were: Carb and vacuum lines, TIRES! and the fuel filter had eaten itself.
Tires turn hard as steel skate wheels with ZERO grip! If they're over 5 years old, REPLACE THEM!
Make sure run the bike BEFORE messing with the oil level.... EVERY TIME. If you add oil to a rested, cool sporty... It will PUKE it right back out! FWIW.

Nothing made of rubber ages well... All the advice listed above is GOOD! (y)(y)
Congratulations & Have fun with that new wife and the new mistress! Both will keep you busy for some time to come!

Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,660 Posts
Carbs are cheap for that bike. I can only imagine what the inside of yours looks like. Honestly, I would get a new one and a 45 pilot jet and 185 main jet. May as well jet it before you put it on and, of course, a decent free flowing air cleaner. Get the torque inserts, the afore mentioned lollipops, in before you road test it and you will close if not right on tuned for it all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts