Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 1200 Custom Sportster and I am attempting to completely remove the carburetor so I can rebuild it with the kit. I hit a snag though and I cannot get the throttle cables loose from the carb. I loosened up the cable cover nuts at the throttle all the way to give slack. I cannot pull the covers out from above the carburetor spindle at the bottom though. I tried using both needle nose and small flathead screwdriver to remove the ferrules (cable ends) from the spindle but all it is doing is tearing up the ends and the spindle. I also tried pushing the carburetor all the way up against the gas tank so I have lots of slack in the cable, and then tried using needle nose on the cable cover to try and pull it up out of the housing. I also attempted shoving the small flathead screwdriver vertically up into that housing (photo #4) to try and push the cable cover up and out of the housing but it won't budge. Suggestions?

For the last 3+ years or so when I slow down to stops the engine likes to die. The bike had stage 1 with screaming eagle 2 exhaust when I got the bike in 2012. After I was run over the front end was rebuilt and I put Rush slip ons but I don't think the dealer retuned the bike. I can't remember if that's when it started dying at slow speed/stops or after that. I'm hoping that the issue is the carburetor just needs to be cleaned and new seal/gasket put on and not re-tuned. At stops I either have to throttle up a little bit or reach over and hold out the choke all the way. Does it sound like the carb needs to be cleaned or retuned?
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear Font

Hood Automotive tire Light Black Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
1,009 Posts
Those throttle cables look in the tight position, out is tight, turn them the other way...like RH turn..then slide slack out out carb cable and u dont need pliers or screwdrivers or u be buying new cables. IE shorter is loose...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yep, First pic, with the turn signal in the background.... Those cables are adjusted as tight as they will go! Run those adjusters IN to make the cable sleeve shorter. Bottom them out in one another... No tools are required to pull the cables.

Also: Carb cleaning can be accomplished ON THE BIKE, No need to remove it all anyway.
If the bike is otherwise running good. The idle adjustment is just set to low.

I strongly advise purchasing a Service Manual for your bike form the parts department of your local dealership. You can still get one brand new as they are print to order from the factory. Don't waste your time with Clymer or the other aftermarket fakes. Get the book from the people who built the bike in the first place. Best $150 upgrade you can ever get for your bike!

Without the manual, you will have one hell of a time trying to get those throttle cables back on and set up.... Guess how i know this...

Reactions: Trepid

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,868 Posts
Agreed, according to the first pic, you took out all the slack and tightened them, not loosened. Run the adjusters the other way, inward.

Then, before you try to pull the cables out of the cable guides, unhook the ends from the carburetor throttle before pulling them out of the sleeves. Not a necessary step, but it does make removing the idle cable (the back one) easier because there's a spring on it that has to also come out of the cable guide, and that's much easier to do when the end of the cable is unhooked from the carb throttle.

Side note, I personally find it easier to remove the idle cable first, then the throttle cable. May have to twist the carb throttle by hand at the carb to get the throttle cable out.

Reactions: AKR and Trepid

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I forgot I do have the service manual. I bought it when I got the bike and I just have to find it. I"ll get back to working on the bike tomorrow. Btw, I'm not just cleaning the carburetor. I bought the rebuild kit last summer and I'm going to go ahead and replace the gasket and seals, spring, etc. If I can just leave the carb the way it is just hanging on by the throttle cables that would be great.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Thanks for the info! I forgot I do have the service manual. I bought it when I got the bike and I just have to find it. I"ll get back to working on the bike tomorrow. Btw, I'm not just cleaning the carburetor. I bought the rebuild kit last summer and I'm going to go ahead and replace the gasket and seals, spring, etc. If I can just leave the carb the way it is just hanging on by the throttle cables that would be great.
A hand impact driver is your friend when pulling a carb apart. Those screw have been in there a while and are going to argue about breaking lose.
One word about carb jets: NEVER stick anything in the small orifices! Just carb cleaner and air. Anything else is asking for problems. The hole will either be made larger (if poked with a wire) or really plugged (if poked with a toothpick). Just a FYI. Good luck, Oh and keep the manual open... (y)

Reactions: Trepid
1 - 6 of 6 Posts