Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Steve
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace my 2002 Road King with a Street Glide. I have it narrowed down to two different bikes. One is a 2006 with the 88" motor and a 5 speed. The other is a 2007 with the 96" motor and 6 speed. Bikes are very similar with the only real difference being the motor, transmission and the cost. The 2006 is a couple of thousand cheaper. I really like the 88" motor in my road king and have never had any issues with it. I have heard the 96" motors run hot until reprogramed and that the 6 speed is only really a benefit on long flat roads.

Any opinions or thoughts anybody would like to share.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
In my opinion the 88 is a better and quicker motor as I've tried both. Also the 6 speed is a novelty unless your cruising at 100 MPH.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 96" does run hot. You would need to do stage 1 with a good tuning device to cool it down. You will then have a motor that puts out about
75hp/88tq. Some are a bit lower, some are a bit higher.
The 88s, except for the 06 Dynas, are geared lower and will feel quicker than a comparably equipped 96" bike.
There also may be a tranny noise issue on the 07 your looking at. Some have it some don't. The "fix" which was built into the 08s will cost about 300
to $400.
BTW I have an 07 Ultra. Other than the heat, I have had no issues.

·
Steve
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input folks. Going to look at both bikes this week and make a decision by the weekend.

·
Steve
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, decided to buy the 2006. Pick it up on Sunday. Sold my 2002 Road king to my brother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts