Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1100 miles on my 2007 Flhx 3rd and 5th gears have Whine noise in it, might be in primary or trany? and there are many others that have the same problem, called the dealer they say there nothting they can do about. sayed they had many other complants about this problem..
Some even bought extended warrantys cause did'nt know if it was going to break down. I payed alot of MONEY for this bike. what up with HD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The six-speed whines in 1st and 5th from the spur-cut gears, but 3rd is helical and should be relatively quiet. The '07's clatter in 5th and 6th in stock form when RPM's are below about 2500, but as Dinero suggested you should look into IDS (#40287-07). It will smooth the bike tremendously and nix the clatter. Some of the whine may disappear, as I don't notice mine anymore, but it is worth the price. All '08 touring bikes have IDS standard equipment. Zanotti's (www.zanottimotor.com) sells it for <$200, and be sure to specify for them to press the bearing into the hub, which is a $12 extra charge, or at least was for me last year when I purchased mine. Pressing the bearing in the hub is important and should be done with a hydraulic press.

Another possibility is the auto chain tensioner, which will whine constantly in all gears. That's normal and you'll get used to it.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Spent Saturday evening installing the IDS on my Ultra.

This may be the best thing I've done to the bike.

All the noise is gone from the transmission and I can ride in fifth gear now without embarressment.:D

Put about 200 miles on it yesterday and put it through its paces. I found that I had been staying in fourth longer and hurrying through fifth to get to sixth.

It just really irritates me that this is one more in a long line of problems that Harley says is normal, but then they come up with the fix next year.

It cost me about $300.00 that probably should have been on their ticket and not mine. Not to mention that I had to go buy a couple of new sockets. The newer axle nuts are much larger. Nobody in town had the right 38 mm but an inch and seven sixteenths (while a little sloppy) will get the job done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It cost me about $300.00 that probably should have been on their ticket and not mine. Not to mention that I had to go buy a couple of new sockets. The newer axle nuts are much larger. Nobody in town had the right 38 mm but an inch and seven sixteenths (while a little sloppy) will get the job done.
The sockets are 36mm and you can buy them at Sears for <$9 each (#00950752000). Look at it on the bright side, you'll need them to remove the wheel and adjust the belt in the future anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It just really irritates me that this is one more in a long line of problems that Harley says is normal, but then they come up with the fix next year.

What would you rather have. A straight cut 5th gear, or power transmission through a helical gear.

I have no problem with whines, whirring, whatever, so long as there is a mechanical reason. If having a squared off gear means it whines for 5-10 seconds as I pass through, so be it.

If it whines for a long time, because the speed limit dictates I ride in 5th, so be it. Now. When this thing starts making noise for which there is no credible explanation. Then, I have a problem.

BTW. See my post about transmission replacement in the Dyna forum. I know all about noises that aint proper.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
What would you rather have. A straight cut 5th gear, or power transmission through a helical gear.

I have no problem with whines, whirring, whatever, so long as their is a mechanical reason. If having a squared off gear means it whines for 5-10 seconds as I pass through, so be it.

If it whines for a long time, because the speed limit dictates I ride in 5th, so be it. Now. When this thing starts making noise for which there is no credible explanation. Then, I have a problem.

BTW. See my post about transmission replacement in the Dyna forum. I know all about noises that aint proper.
Is wasa aterrible almost clacking noise from the compensator nut trying to compensate. It's gone now. They changed it in '08. I just retrofitted it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish I understood what the compensator was all about.

My limits of understanding were exceeded last time I examined a simple transmission diagram, in hopes of figuring out how to shift 'better'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts