Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Road King and I purchased a Harley Davidson 103 engine, off a 2014 street glide. I also, would also like to purchase a new transmission. First question is will this engine work on my 2007 Road King without any modifications using my existing transmission? Second question, is a new, bolt in, transmission available, either in a screamin eagle transmission or an OEM factory replacement? I need help and have received different answers from three different dealerships. This seems like a straight forward issue but it is not based on the answers I have been given. Thank you all. I know someone so out there with the experience and knowledge to help me. Thanks again!

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
The touring frame changes that began in '08 and into '09 might cause some problems using that 103" in your '07 frame. The 2014 103" front head is changed to accommodate the engine stabilizer for one. Bottom front motor mount changed too.
Your '07 trans should work because that is when the external oil lines were eliminated. '07 and newer have the internal oil lines from engine to trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not an OEM replacement engine or transmission offered for a 2007-2009 HD touring motorcycle and this is why I'm trying to make this new 103 work. Also how come a Screaming Eagle Transmission is not available for 2007-2009 Touring? I'm not able to find a part number for Baker 6 Speed OD or DD without doing case modification. I would love to buy a Baker complete. It seems like there is a void in transmission and engine options from 2007-2009 HD Touring from both OEM and aftermarket.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Those touring model frame changes I mentioned might have something to do with it.
What's wrong with your current engine and trans ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both have really high mileage, but there is nothing wrong. I wanted to upgrade from a 96 to 103 and since I had a brand new 103, I thought I would utilize it. Since, I am doing a lot of custom upgrades, I thought it would be a good time to do it all.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
might have been netter off spending the motor money on cams and 107 jugs pistons for the existing motor

and why change tranny?

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
The more I think about it that 103" might be a direct bolt in, I don't remember the engine dimensions changing even tho the motor mounts and stabilizer were changed. Your engine and the 103 both have the internal oil line configuration so the 103 should bolt up to your trans. Your bike already has the Cruise Drive 6spd trans., '07 was the second year for the 6spd Cruise Drive.
Hell, pull your engine out and drop the 103 in and you'll find out real quick if it'll bolt up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 2014 engine will work just fine in your bike.
The trans will bolt right up and you won't need the top stabilizer because your bike didn't come with it. Even though the 2014 engine has the top stabilizer and the front cylinder head is made for the stabilizer you don't need to install the top stabilizer for the engine to work for you.
If it bothers you you can put your 2007 heads on the 2014 engine.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Actually the bottom '07 stabilizer should bolt right up. The front head just has 2 bolt holes for the top head stabilizer bracket location. That won't make a difference. Just don't install the bracket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Part of the deal is my friend gave me a really good deal on this Engine because he wants to see me fail. But what he doesn't know is the support group I have helping me. Thanks everyone. If you have any more concerns or comments don't hesitate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts