Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having problems with my battery so I bought a 1 amp trickle charger. I went out today and had a fully charged battery but when I went for a ride the check engine and the check battery warning lights both came on. I also recently replaced the battery. Any thoughts.....

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
First, I would make sure the battery is good. Do a volt test and then a load test. If you don't have the volt meter or load tester, have your local parts place test it. Make sure cable connections are clean & tight. If battery checks out fine, time to check the charging system.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
What code was set when the check engine light came on? Sounds like a bad voltage regulator or maybe wiring. Check with it running for the correct voltage on the battery, engine reved up to about 3000 rpm, about 14 volts.

Check the ground from the battery to frame/engine. They give a fair amount of trouble.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Loose negative cable. You need to follow the book procedure for replacing the battery in a 2007 Sportster.
The negative cable gets attached and tightened to the battery terminal before installing the battery. The negative cable then gets re-attached at the top of the trans.
Always connect the negative cable last, after the positive is connected.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sounds like a bad voltage regulator or maybe wiring.
Harley did have a recall on the voltage regulator on the 07 sportster ( and other years). If you haven't had the recall done you should go to the local dealer. When they did mine they indicated that if the bad regulator caused other problems those were covered under the recall. Mine was fine so they just replaced the regulator.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts