Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2007 Sportster 1200 can I get the steering races out of the neck with out buying the HD tool ? I'd like to hear from some DIY guts . I will only be doing it one time and covid leaves me short of cash..

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you have a few common tools, you can get it done.
The OP asked about replacing the outer race, and this video does not show that process.

The guy in the video uses a precision square block as a spacer tool to press the stem from the lower bracket. :ROFLMAO:

He pulls a dry rusty bearing out of the neck, yet he says the outer race looked good.(n)

Tip for new mechanics:

If you pull a dry rusty roller bearing out of anything, you don`t need to inspect the outer race, you need to replace it.

OP: check out the bearing removal tools on Georges Garage tools.

Georges-Garage Tools

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,189 Posts
Yep, I got that. Point is, this guy is doing it backyard mechanic style, and that may prove useful.

Now, did you help him by showing him how to remove that outer race? I believe he also said he didn't have a lot of money to buy tools.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yep, I got that. Point is, this guy is doing it backyard mechanic style, and that may prove useful.

Now, did you help him by showing him how to remove that outer race? I believe he also said he didn't have a lot of money to buy tools.
You said "if you have a few common tools you can get it done".

Maybe you could tell us, what common tools will get this job done?

I use the removal tools from Georges Garage Tools, that`s how I do it.

The tools I referenced cost much less than the HD tools, if you can even buy them.

There is no way around spending some money to maintain a Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
43,116 Posts
Where can I get one of those blocks with the speed holes in it for press fitting bearings etc?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
If you have a few common tools, you can get it done.

Dauum! Bet this guy uses a micrometer for a C-clap too! Don't let these two in my garage! I'd teach him a different use for that cheater bar! (give that map on his head a 3-d effect!)

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,189 Posts
LoL, gang. If a guy writes that he's on a tight financial budget, a little shadetree salad can't hurt as creative catalyst. Harleys are not the most complex machines on the road, and stuff folks have been doing for decades may help.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
LoL, gang. If a guy writes that he's on a tight financial budget, a little shadetree salad can't hurt as creative catalyst. Harleys are not the most complex machines on the road, and stuff folks have been doing for decades may help.
I agree 100%. IMO, everyone who rides should be capable of performing their own basic maintenance. Nothing wrong with diving into and learning new skills, while finding work around ways to save a buck. Hell yes!

The point is the moron in that first video is using precision machinist tools as blocking on a press.
A 1-2-3 block is machined to extremely close tolerance, drilled, reamed, threaded then hardened, then precision ground. (They are not cheap) Also being hardened tool steel, are very brittle.

Making this using this as press stock, not only stupid but, dangerous. It could quite easily become a grenade, by the way he is misusing this tool.
So is he showing how to save a buck, or show how to destroy expensive tools and possibly cost your eyesight, or worse?
There's the Right way, the cheaper way, the faster way and the WRONG way to do anything!

Some of the pros have fantastic yt channels, some of the shadetree guys have some fantastic skills and tricks, many are a waste of time and energy, and some are a parody or how NOT to do this...
Would you pay these two clowns to work on your bike?

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,189 Posts
I agree 100%. IMO, everyone who rides should be capable of performing their own basic maintenance. Nothing wrong with diving into and learning new skills, while finding work around ways to save a buck. Hell yes!

The point is the moron in that first video is using precision machinist tools as blocking on a press.
A 1-2-3 block is machined to extremely close tolerance, drilled, reamed, threaded then hardened, then precision ground. (They are not cheap) Also being hardened tool steel, are very brittle.

Making this using this as press stock, not only stupid but, dangerous. It could quite easily become a grenade, by the way he is misusing this tool.
So is he showing how to save a buck, or show how to destroy expensive tools and possibly cost your eyesight, or worse?
There's the Right way, the cheaper way, the faster way and the WRONG way to do anything!

Some of the pros have fantastic yt channels, some of the shadetree guys have some fantastic skills and tricks, many are a waste of time and energy, and some are a parody or how NOT to do this...
Would you pay these two clowns to work on your bike?
I do most of the work on mine, though I haven't had to replace steering head bearings in forever (an XS1100 Yamaha, I believe). I have the money for a reputable shop for things that are out of my comfort zone, or when I feel lazy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts