Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:
My 2007 ultra classic while riding, I smell oil. When parked or in the garage of my house there are no drips on the pavement. However when changing the oil, there is oil on the bottom of the crankcase and the drain plug has slight oily residue on it. I am unable to locate where the oil is coming from. I thought at first that I was over filling the crankase with too much oil and during the last change I reduced the amount from 4 quarts to 3.5 quarts. Same issue is occuring.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so what will I need to fix the issue myself?

I spoke with my local dealer and they want 700.00 just to remove the primary to take a look at it and find the leak. This seems excessive to me.

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Have you been changing the O ring on the drain plug when you change the oil?
If not then it might just be slowly dripping from the plug causing the smell.

·
Registered
341 Posts
did you let the eng idle 2 min to scavage the oil bsck to oil pan? use plumers PFE paste on drain plug threads

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I change the O-rings at each oil change. There is oil all over the underside of the crankcase. I believe it might be a seal but not sure. It is not coming from the oil drain plug. There is oil forward of that.

Glenn

·
Banned
71 Posts
Yes I change the O-rings at each oil change. There is oil all over the underside of the crankcase. I believe it might be a seal but not sure. It is not coming from the oil drain plug. There is oil forward of that.

Glenn
Clean everything up with brakecleaner, dust everything with white powder ( flour , chalk dust, etc etc, whatever you have ) let motor run and you will see exactly where the leak is in short order .

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts

Glenn
Sounds to me the inner primary seal, or as you said, crankcase gasket. Do the white powder test and post pics so we can help you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
check the oil filter area and hoses. don't use the OEM spring clamps . even new because they will weaken over time. i've known on these sites that the hoses have blown -off.
i like the fuel injector clamps, they are a circle type that tighten with a screw & nut. you may have to go to napa to get the correct size. for those you can get access to i use PEX
clamps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All:
Thanks. I am currently at College staion and will not be home till around the 20th. I changed oil, just prior to writing this thread, and the oil filter area is not leaking. I always use brake cleaner when changing oil, especially on the frame, by the oil filter, as the engine rubber bushing is in that area and I do not want that bushing getting oil soaked. The stator plug area is dry as well. So I am thinking it is the inner primary seal but not sure. As soon as I can get home and put it on the stand I will let you know.

Now if it is the inner primary. What tools are needed to get access and change the seal?

Thanks
Glenn

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
All:
Thanks. I am currently at College staion and will not be home till around the 20th. I changed oil, just prior to writing this thread, and the oil filter area is not leaking. I always use brake cleaner when changing oil, especially on the frame, by the oil filter, as the engine rubber bushing is in that area and I do not want that bushing getting oil soaked. The stator plug area is dry as well. So I am thinking it is the inner primary seal but not sure. As soon as I can get home and put it on the stand I will let you know.

Now if it is the inner primary. What tools are needed to get access and change the seal?

Thanks
Glenn
Give me a PM. Just did mine a couple monts back. Time to pay it forward!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Could just be oil from filter when you changed it, always leaks to engine or frame no matter how careful I am.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can alway buy some tracer dye and add it to the primary oil. That way if the oil that is leaking is the same color as the dye than you know where it is coming from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts