Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay, time for some memory lane,
When I bought my first bike, H-D produced 5 models, the FL, FLH, The XL, XLCH, and the venerable 45 C.I.flathead utility trike.
Later on, all of the other companies were producing newer styles, more flash, bells and whistles, So to keep up, H-D started building other models,, but I think they carried it a bike too far. they produced way too many models, some nearly identical, and though it might seem easy enough, it costs an awful lot of money to conceive, design, engineer, re-design, materials annalysis, costing, coffee break and office gab, and butt kiss these new models into existence.Then comes supply line forcasting, inventory, and control, product development, more engineering, and finally marketing, and catalog/invoicing costs. For each model, even though they may have many common components, its still a huge undertaking. so fewer models, makes more sense, and the costs will be reduced(hopefully prices too, but don' hold yer breath,,,) Maybe it would be best for the MoCo to get back to basics, with a really well focused, well deliniated stable of offerings. Oh, and please, if MoCo must sell trinkets, and baubles, could they at least be made here? I'm tired of supporting China.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought my first bike, H-D produced 5 models, the FL, FLH, The XL, XLCH, and the venerable 45 C.I.flathead utility trike.
Later on, all of the other companies were producing newer styles, more flash, bells and whistles, So to keep up, H-D started building other models,, but I think they carried it a bike too far. they produced way too many models, some nearly identical, and though it might seem easy enough, it costs an awful lot of money to conceive, design, engineer, re-design, materials annalysis, costing, coffee break and office gab, and butt kiss these new models into existence.Then comes supply line forcasting, inventory, and control, product development, more engineering, and finally marketing, and catalog/invoicing costs. For each model, even though they may have many common components, its still a huge undertaking. so fewer models, makes more sense, and the costs will be reduced(hopefully prices too, but don' hold yer breath,,,) Maybe it would be best for the MoCo to get back to basics, with a really well focused, well deliniated stable of offerings. Oh, and please, if MoCo must sell trinkets, and baubles, could they at least be made here? I'm tired of supporting China.
Yes Troublehead... Complexity introduces higher costs. While I have a sentimental place in my heart for the Deuce I once owned, it was one off enough... tank, fender, forks, etc. my guess it was very costly given its marginal volume. Kinda suprised by the Wide Glide's demise, if true.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Alphabet soup,,

Yes Troublehead... Complexity introduces higher costs. While I have a sentimental place in my heart for the Deuce I once owned, it was one off enough... tank, fender, forks, etc. my guess it was very costly given its marginal volume. Kinda suprised by the Wide Glide's demise, if true.
not familiar with the Wide Glide, tho I have heard mention of them, and usually good things. I get dizzy looking at all of the different model designations, General Motors suffered the same problems with a cumbersome product line, too many badges, with too many models, all of which were the same basic cars, only differences were in details. So even they had to decide which to keep, and which to terminate. I think the MoCo is making a good choice this time, and it means more discounts for the discontinued models.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I cannot see them dropping the Wide Glide. That bike sells good.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
What cracks me up is the MoCo's insistence on changing the style of a saddlebag, handlebar or paint job, and calling it a "new model". As far as I'm concerned, the only "models" are:

Sportsters
Softails
Dynas
Baggers
V-Rods.

The rest is all just bolt-on stuff.

Not trying to sound harsh, but... geeze! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm anxious to see what will replace all the discontinued models. I'm expecting to see some new touring oriented model utilizing the Revolution powertrain, not necessarily this coming model year though.

Barry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trouble, the trike was called a Servicar and was produced until 1972. As for the baubles and trinkets "Made In China", you're going to have to get used to that one, it's called "globalization" meaning that whoever has the cheapest work force/labor costs will get the contract because the Moco wants to maximize profits. Besides how else can they charge you HD (Hundreds of Dollars) for accessories, if they were made in America they would be TD (Thousands of Dollars).:bat

·
COB
1,984 Posts
It still surprises me that they are dropping the FXST. That thing is a money machine for the parts side of the house. And I never thought they would drop the FXDWG. Ever.

As far as the 883 Sportsters with the R, well, that was a dumb idea in the first place.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It still surprises me that they are dropping the FXST. That thing is a money machine for the parts side of the house. And I never thought they would drop the FXDWG. Ever.

As far as the 883 Sportsters with the R, well, that was a dumb idea in the first place.

You have a good point there Mike... The FXST is that canvas many use to start a customization project from.... meaning P&A $$$. And the WG has quite a following. My guess is Milwaukee surely must have something up their sleeve to replace some of these bikes with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts