Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I need some help here in how to direct my brother.

He has a 2008 Nightster 1200. It has Vance and Hines Short Shots and a Vance and Hines Air Cleaner. He also installed a Vance and Hines Fuel pack on it. on it. The Nightster backfires pretty much on deceleration and does not seem to run smooth. I rode this bike and have heard it for myself. He called a HD dealer and they told him they would need to install a tuner and than have it dyno. They quoted a price of about 600.00 to have this all done. Does this sound right? I am not real familiar with fuel mapping or the tuning aspect of motorcycles. If you have any questions feel free to ask me for more information. Anything you guys could offer would be a real help.

Thanks, Pastor Jeff

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Well, this is a hard place to start. Did your brother install all this stuff himself? Did a dealer install the stuff.

Is everything installed properly? All questions, whose answers affect the outcome. If all the stuff is installed correctly,( ie, no air or exhaust leak) and the fuel pack set correctly, then there is something else wrong.

If you or he can't troubleshoot yourselves, then the dealer may be the best answer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
To save a trip to the dealer and save some moola...

If you have all the stock parts start removing pieces and bring it back to stock until you find the issue. You may have a faulty part or an improperly installed part or the bike itself may be out of tune to start with.

I would start with the tuner it may be set up incorrectly, them move to the air cleaner and exhaust.

But first check for leaks in hoses and exhaust... :)

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts