Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on why my odometer arm would fluctuate up and down for a little while in 6th gear crusin and then go down to 0 and then the motor starts to run a little rough. When i slow down to 2nd gear the engine kills. I turned the ignition off. Restarted the bike and it idled fine. Ran it down the road a few more miles, while in 6th gear, the odometer needle started varying up and down again, the 6th gear light goes out, the odometer needle eventually varies its way down to 0 again. I let the bike cool down for an hour or so after disconnecting the ground wire on the battery. Ran it again for about an hour before it started doing the same thing again. if I keep the throttle steady at around 2000 rpms while stopped, it will run but the engine runs rough and will kill if I decrease the throttle speed.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Any suggestions on why my odometer arm would fluctuate up and down for a little while in 6th gear crusin and then go down to 0 and then the motor starts to run a little rough. When i slow down to 2nd gear the engine kills. I turned the ignition off. Restarted the bike and it idled fine. Ran it down the road a few more miles, while in 6th gear, the odometer needle started varying up and down again, the 6th gear light goes out, the odometer needle eventually varies its way down to 0 again. I let the bike cool down for an hour or so after disconnecting the ground wire on the battery. Ran it again for about an hour before it started doing the same thing again. if I keep the throttle steady at around 2000 rpms while stopped, it will run but the engine runs rough and will kill if I decrease the throttle speed.
Check the motor harness plug ( where it connects to the main harness) , it's a known problem that some pins do not always stay connected.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Clean the speed sensor magnet. Kinda hard to get at by the starter but they cause the kind of problems described.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you schmitdty. this speed magnet will also make your engine run rough at lower rpms and shut down the motor as well?

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
The speedo is tied into the whole EMS (engine management system) and will affect engine functions.
Another thing that can affect the system is a faulty TBW sensor.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Another thing, don't disconnect the battery cables remove the maxi-fuse instead, same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts