Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Super Glide and am planning to purchase a used Road King. I have found two that look interesting. One is a 2008 with about 22,000 miles for about $13,000 and the other is a 2010 with 57,000 miles for about $12,000. Assuming that both bikes were maintained with equal care, which bike would you think is a better way to go. They both have the same size motor but the 2010 has the newer frame and is, well, newer. But the 2008 has less miles. I usually ride a little less than 10,000 miles a year. Which would you buy?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I would most likely by the new frame bike. But, I am tall. I am about 6'3". The new frame is much better for tall guys. If you're not a tall guy, maybe you wouldn't care.

Either way, I'm sure you'll end up with a good bike.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I like the new frame as well. The new frame was designed to minimize the wobble that was sometimes associated with the older model frame. With the new frame, you also get the wider rear tire which I noticed gives me a little more stable feel. Additionally, the rear fender bracket was eliminated in 2009 giving the rear fender a cleaner look as well as the license plate mounting.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You can find 2010 low mile (under 10,000) in the $14,000 range, there are two on ebay right now. Since you are putting on almost 10,000 miles a year I think you are better off getting a low miler. A bike that has almost 60,000 will most likely start having some problems in a few years. Not saying a low miler can't have problems, just a better chance a high miler will IMO.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
I'd get the newer one. The miles don't scare me. But as had been said, for a little more bread you can find something with fewer miles that new.

I like the wider rear fender on the new frame.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Found my 09 King on cycle trader. Bought it sight unseen from Georgia. He took it to the local dealer and they inspected it. Then I had it shipped. A little scary but the deal I got on her was too good to pass up. The process was pretty painless, expand your search area and it may pay off for you.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Found my 09 King on cycle trader. Bought it sight unseen from Georgia. He took it to the local dealer and they inspected it. Then I had it shipped. A little scary but the deal I got on her was too good to pass up. The process was pretty painless, expand your search area and it may pay off for you.
Orrrrrr, you could buy one a few hundred miles away...have your wife drive you there...then follow you back as you get to know your new mistress!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Orrrrrr, you could buy one a few hundred miles away...have your wife drive you there...then follow you back as you get to know your new mistress![/QUOTE

:thumbsup Yes unless you are looking at a rare model bike. There are thousands of used Harleys for sale within a 400 mile radius of where you live. And with the internet it makes them easy to find. Drive a few hours to pick up and ride a few hours back.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Orrrrrr, you could buy one a few hundred miles away...have your wife drive you there...then follow you back as you get to know your new mistress!
That's what I wanted to do or fly down and ride back, but time did not allow for it.

Also if you see one out of state you like, there could possibly be a forum member who would take a look at if for you if they are near by. Florida and Texas have some inexpensive low mileage bikes listed.

·
On the loose
8,705 Posts
That's what I wanted to do or fly down and ride back, but time did not allow for it.

Also if you see one out of state you like, there could possibly be a forum member who would take a look at if for you if they are near by. Florida and Texas have some inexpensive low mileage bikes listed.
I've browsed some out of state bikes and the farther away they are the more sense it makes to have them shipped , it's alot cheaper than traveling to pick them up IMO.

·
Registered
438 Posts
08 was an odd year (not an odd number). The rear wheel cush drive was only for that year, those parts are not interchangeable with 09s and newer and the pulley bearing was only used on that year machine. Neither 08 or 10 came from the factory with the upgraded compensator. You might ask any seller you talk to if he has changed the compensator on any pre-11 machine. I have an 08 Road King and love it, bought new and now has 69,000 miles. Most of those who have driven both seem to prefer the newer frame design. Many of the tourers around that time had cast wheels with very small spaces between the "spokes" including where the valve stem is and they are obnoxious to check pressure and/or add air. Wheels with easier access to the valve stem would be a plus. 07 and 08 were the first years with the 6 speed transmission and they were geared too high. Starting in 09 the factory used a 68 tooth rear pulley rather than the 66 tooth pulley in 07 and 08. When I changed mine, both fuel economy and drive-ability improved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts