Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this guys , so thank you for all your help.

the stock exhaust is very low, cant tell when to shift except for the speed of course. exhaust pipes are already blue( is that normal?)
plenty of power it seems. i am not being real easy on it 130 miles now. any suggestion on how to change pipes without spending a ton . when i ride all i hear is engine, i dont like it..

·
Registered
39,473 Posts
Sounds like what you are looking for are slip on mufflers, either Screaming Eagle or aftermarket. These use your stock exhaust pipes, and are cheaper than a full exhaust.

Blued pipes are the nature of the beast unless you coat them with a ceramic coating etc...

HD pipes are single wall construction and chrome ones will turn blue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the info ..i will have many more questions i am sure.

Break in is the next question? i am riding like i would normally ride , but i am varying speed and shifting alot. i have had the bike up to 75 already in sixth gear. sales guy said dont shift into 6th until you are @ 70 mph is that true?

·
Registered
39,473 Posts
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE

1. Make a test run at 30 miles per hour and accelerate at full throttle to 50 miles per hour. Repeat the acceleration cycle from 30 to 50 miles per hour at least ten times. No further break-in is necessary. If traffic conditions will not permit this procedure, accelerate the engine rapidly several times through the intermediate gears during the check run. The object is to apply a load to the engine for short periods of time and in rapid succession soon after engine warm up. This action thrusts the piston rings against the cylinder wall with increased pressure and results in accelerated ring seating.

Following that,
Drive vehicle normally but avoid sustained high speed during the first 100 miles.
At no time should the engine be lugged. Lugging is said to exist when the engine does not respond when you twist the throttle.

Taken from Hastings piston ring website
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/breakin_procedure.htm

Take your sales guy's advice regarding 6th gear.
6th is an overdrive gear and you will end up lugging your motor if you shift into 6th below 70.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all you help, i think i have done pretty ok so far ...no harm done. last question for now...when up shifting do i close throttle up shift and release clutch fast or let clutch out slowly.?

·
Registered
39,473 Posts
I think the key word would be smoothly. Neither too fast nor too slow. Try to match your engine speed to the gear. Done properly you will not be able to feel when the clutch engages when you release the clutch.

It's just like a car/truck. After awhile it will become second nature.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone Out There Put Screaming Eagles Slip On On There New Bike? Instead Of The Whole Exhaust.

Is It Loud Enough?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2008 Fat Boy and would like to put some wire wheels on. The guy at the Harley Dealership, says no one makes any for it and any after market wheel, such as American Wire Wheel would void the warranty. The Cross Bones rear wheel spec seems to be the same, and the front wheel also seems to be the same height/diametr etc. Any suggustions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts